Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Hardwood Actiom

Hardwood Actiom

Here are a few from a game last week. I was attempting to shoot tighter and get kind of an action sportrait in some of these. All with the D3s and the 70-200mm at ISO 5000 and 1/500 at f2.8. I was sitting a few feet from the inline and a little to the right of the basket on most of these.

I may learn to spell some day. That shoud be Hardwood Action.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hardwood Actiom-dsc_8574-2-1000.jpg   Hardwood Actiom-dsc_8725-2-1000.jpg   Hardwood Actiom-dsc_8747-2-1000.jpg   Hardwood Actiom-dsc_8754-2-1000.jpg   Hardwood Actiom-dsc_8781-2-1000.jpg  

Hardwood Actiom-dsc_8849-2-1000.jpg   Hardwood Actiom-dsc_8933-3-1000.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Hardwood Actiom

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    Here are a few from a game last week. I was attempting to shoot tighter and get kind of an action sportrait in some of these. All with the D3s and the 70-200mm at ISO 5000 and 1/500 at f2.8. I was sitting a few feet from the inline and a little to the right of the basket on most of these.

I may learn to spell some day. That shoud be Hardwood Action.
    Larry,

I don't know whether these images were shot tight or cropped tight or a combination of the two, but you have succeeded in your renderings. I like #2, #3, and #6 the most. I would have cloned out that dangling hand in #6.

I notice that you usually shoot basketball at 1/500 as do I. I post photos in another forum where some of the sports shooters are advocating the idea of shooting basketball at higher shutter speeds than 1/500. I've never noticed enough motion blurring at 1/500 to make shooting at faster shutter speeds a necessity, even when shooting basketball at college level. In most gyms it's tough enough maintaining ISO values at reasonable levels when shooting at 1/500 without compounding the problem by trying to shoot at faster shutter speeds.

Bob

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

From the view of ignorance of what "should" be done, I think you have just enough movement in the fast action.
    A slight blur the feet or the ball rather than pin-sharp.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks Paul. I usually try to get the face and head nice and sharp and not worry much about a little hand of foot motion. I find that in most situations 1/500 will do that, if I can use a higher shutter speed I will but usually doesn't work that way indoors.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thread Information