Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Indianapolis 500 festival Mini-Marathon

Today was a great day for the 37th running of the Indianapolis 500 Festival Mini-Marathon. This event is one of largest half-Marathon events in the nation bringing people from all around the country and world. The race Kicks off the Month of May and the events surrounding and leading up to the Indianapolis 500 Indy car race. 35,000 men and women runners and wheelchair racers start in downtown Indianapolis and run 5.8 Miles to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway where they run one full lap of the 2.5 mile race track and then head back the final 4.8 miles to Downtown Indy.

Start of the wheelchair racers.

Start of the Mini-Marathon Runners. This is the front of the line. The back of the line came 0:33m.42s later

Wheelchair race First place finisher Krige Schabort

First place Men's Finisher Alene Reta

First Place women's Finisher Sarah Kiptoo

Re: Indianapolis 500 festival Mini-Marathon

This set of photos really deserves some comments. I take it you were shooting for a publication since you got photos of all parts of the marathon, including the finish and it looks like you had good access at the finish. My favorites are the first, third and last images.

I really like the third one, with that mass of runners. That's a great example of how to use a telephoto lens for effect. I love how the focus fades off into the background and gradually blurs the runners. What lens and exposure settings did you use for that photo?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

PJ, thanks for the comments and I had credentials for this event. I was covering the event for a running publication. The first three shots were of the start of the race and I was actually above the course on a firetruck ladder.At the start the course has a slight down grade and I noticed that my test shots were coming from a low angle and the front runners were blocking the view of the pack. There were two ladder trucks, one on either side of the course, with their ladders raised in an "A" formation holding the American flag over the start. I was walking the course before the start looking for a better vantage point I struck up a conversation with one of the firemen who happened to be a hobby photographer. While speaking with him I half jokingly said "Hey you know up there would be a great place to shoot from". He replied "you promise not to fall or do anything stupid". So that is how I got above the course on a fire truck ladder. I did get a picture of some of guys from their fire house and the Lieutenant running the race in full fire gear. As a thank you I printed a few 8x10s and put them in some cheap black frames I had laying around and sent them to the firehouse.

As for the Third shot you commented on. This was shot with a 7D through a 70-200mm f/2.8l II. Settings were ISO 400, 1/500th, f/2.8. Minimal contrast boost and lens correction in LR4.

Drew.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I especially like the second wheelchair racer shot, as well as the crowd shot. Thanks for posting the shot info.

Thread Information