Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: First MX Shoot

Learning more everyday! maplestreet's Avatar

First MX Shoot

Got out to the new MX track this morning and caught some of the action. Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Bert

Feel free to edit and repost my photos for critique if you feel so inclined! :idea:

Canon 40D
    Canon 7D
    Canon EOS Rebel 2000
    Canon Powershot SX120
    -----------------------------------
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

Re: First MX Shoot

Glad to see you posting again, Bert. I don't know much about MX shooting, but it looks to me like you captured some really good action. Nice series!
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by ksbryan0 View Post
    Glad to see you posting again, Bert. I don't know much about MX shooting, but it looks to me like you captured some really good action. Nice series!
    Thanks Ken. I had a lot of fun shooting these bikes.

And thanks again, It's great to be back.
    Bert

Feel free to edit and repost my photos for critique if you feel so inclined! :idea:

Canon 40D
    Canon 7D
    Canon EOS Rebel 2000
    Canon Powershot SX120
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Good, it's a nice track.
    it's a good light as well.
    I guess you were using the 7D? try to over expose it a little bit, it's a noisy sensor in dark light.
    Also, try to not go over 1/500 or 1/640s it will make the wheels turn and give more dynamic to your pictures.

Thanks Pleincadre.

I was actually using the 40D for this one but I agree about them being a bit under exposed. That was my main complaint as well because the riders themselves were a bit dark. It was a lot to do with the angle I was shooting from most of the morning when the sun was on their backs, but you're right I should have just used exposure compensation to over expose it a bit.

Good thoughts about the shutter too. I will give that a try as well.

I will probably go back to the track this weekend so I'll let ya know how much I improve!
    Last edited by maplestreet; 11-21-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    Bert

Canon 40D
    Canon 7D
    Canon EOS Rebel 2000
    Canon Powershot SX120
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Bert, as I mentioned earlier, I don't know squat about shooting MX, so with that, take my suggestion with a grain of salt! As much as I like the high flying bikes, the shots that make a better impact to me also include some earth. Perhaps it is just a perspective thing, or maybe the bike in the sky subliminally comes across as a Photoshopped bike that was pasted on a sky background. The effect is worse when there is no motion blur showing. A little slower shutter speed and really good panning technique will likely benefit the images. But then, what do I know?! Have a good shoot and I will look forward to seeing your next series.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Bert, as I mentioned earlier, I don't know squat about shooting MX, so with that, take my suggestion with a grain of salt! As much as I like the high flying bikes, the shots that make a better impact to me also include some earth. Perhaps it is just a perspective thing, or maybe the bike in the sky subliminally comes across as a Photoshopped bike that was pasted on a sky background. The effect is worse when there is no motion blur showing. A little slower shutter speed and really good panning technique will likely benefit the images. But then, what do I know?! Have a good shoot and I will look forward to seeing your next series.
    No I totally agree Ken. My favorite shot of the day by far is the first of my seires where the riders are all riding away from me up the hill and the dirt is flying. I am definitely going to focus more on turns and hills instead of jumps this time. :thumbsup:
    Bert

Canon 40D
    Canon 7D
    Canon EOS Rebel 2000
    Canon Powershot SX120
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

!As much as I like the high flying bikes, the shots that make a better impact to me also include some earth.
    This is precisely what I was going to say. I'm also no expert on bikes per se but I shoot skateboarding mostly where the aesthetic relies heavily on showing the takeoff and landing.

Great colors! Love the 2nd to last one!

Thanks for the comments everyone, I love posting here because you guys help me get better.

And thanks for the feature! That's my first one and I'm truly honored with all the great photos that have been featured on this site. Thank you!
    Bert

Canon 40D
    Canon 7D
    Canon EOS Rebel 2000
    Canon Powershot SX120
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Congrats, very cool...

DO NOT LIMIT YOURSELF TO THE 500-640 RANGE. Vary it, pan at 100 and go up pinned at 2000 at F3.2 or 2.8 I would suggest a vary amount of shutter speeds....I messed this up once could have had some bangers with slighter faster shutter. Last kid I shot I wen up to 2K a few times and down to 1/60 for some....

Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn View Post
    DO NOT LIMIT YOURSELF TO THE 500-640 RANGE. Vary it, pan at 100 and go up pinned at 2000 at F3.2 or 2.8 I would suggest a vary amount of shutter speeds....I messed this up once could have had some bangers with slighter faster shutter. Last kid I shot I wen up to 2K a few times and down to 1/60 for some....
    I agree with this one, so so much. haha

Good shots btw, maybe fix your framing a little bit. or if you can't, shoot a bit wider then crop for better composition. remember your rule of thirds.

It's nice to show a bit of motion blur and panning to show the movement of things by lowering the shutter speeds. Its also cool to see frozen in time shots by shooting at high shutter speeds. Probably times like when a biker turns around a corner while throwing dirt the other direction, that would be another cool shot, wont you agree?

anyways, honestly I haven't shot much of any sports event so yes, I dont have much experience, but Im also learning from you guys in these forums so I can be ready when the time comes. haha hopefully

ps, my fave is the first pic. except i wish you shot them while they were facing you

Thread Information