Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: First pic post

First pic post

Only editing is sizing for web. Shot jpeg with canon 20d, sigma 70-200. This was shot on short par 3, kid in shot lipped out hole in one. Told him if it had went in that would be an expensive picture . Kid was low medalist with a 69. Wish my camera skills equaled his golf skills.
    I have thick skin, let me have it
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First pic post-resize-wizard-2.jpg  

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

Re: First pic post

Nice shot BamaMike. I love the way he's coming out of his shoes. Way cool that it almost went in.

My favorite moments in the golf swing are the very end of the follow through, impact (although you can't exactly get this one when they're competing!), and the top of the backswing - which you also can't get when they are in competition. Anything in between just looks 'wrong' to me - but that's me. I've also tried getting close in from the chest up at the end of the follow through which will usually be pretty good as well.

An interesting side note - I was playing with my husband and son recently and took some photos of them. They never heard the camera (a Nikon D50), which was pretty cool, and I was never more than 15 feet away.

Thanks for the nice comments. My D20 isnt perfect for golf with the loud shutter(?) but I took this from about 30 yds away and asked and they all said they didnt hear anything.

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMike
    I took this from about 30 yds away and asked and they all said they didnt hear anything.
    Kind of makes you want to try and 'sneak' an early swing shot, doesn't it? But THAT would be the one they hear and then it's game over.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

bama,
    You've got the right idea here, but this shot doesn't do much for a couple of reasons. First of all, you're cropping too tightly. You can barely see the grass under his feet, and on the left side you don't have any grass at all. Also, the club is cut out of the shot. Your horizon is a bit crooked, and the image looks a tad soft. Have you applied an unsharp mask to it yet? I personally would go with a vertical crop here. I wish you could see more of his face, but it still works with the eyes covered. Nice colors though. Keep shooting!

Thks for the comments livin. I havent dont any editing , cropping , unsharp etc. straight out of camera sized for web.

Thread Information