Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

An Equestrian Event

I posted this over in the view finder forum , but thought it would be something good for this group too

My daughter did her first competition today.

taking the pictures was tough, No Flash allowed , you don't want to spook the horses. and it was a very overcast day.

My Baby , with some New England Color in the background.

Riding

Some Jumping

and well this horse just decided to Buck for the fun of it !

Feel free to edit my Pics to show me how to make them Better.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: An Equestrian Event

First shot I think is the best, with some work on the background you could have a Sports-with-Landscape image there of the kind Photo-John does.

I see you're at ISO400, f/5.6, 1/125 second.
    So I would recommend if that's the widest your lens can go, look at a wider aperture lens.
    I use the Canon 70-200 f/2.8

The riding, jumping and bucking shots, all could do with a little rotation, but that first one perhaps with the slower action and the strong horizontal rail, you lined it up better.
    Something to bear in mind, but you can always edit it in PS or LR (I prefer LR) so it's just a time-saver for you, not as big an issues as it would be with film!
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    First shot I think is the best, with some work on the background you could have a Sports-with-Landscape image there of the kind Photo-John does.

I see you're at ISO400, f/5.6, 1/125 second.
    So I would recommend if that's the widest your lens can go, look at a wider aperture lens.
    I use the Canon 70-200 f/2.8

The riding, jumping and bucking shots, all could do with a little rotation, but that first one perhaps with the slower action and the strong horizontal rail, you lined it up better.
    Something to bear in mind, but you can always edit it in PS or LR (I prefer LR) so it's just a time-saver for you, not as big an issues as it would be with film!
    I was switching Between my 28-80 Zoom and my cannon 50 MM f1.8. I needed wider than the 50 could provide. so I had to use my slower lens.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Hm, I'd like to see one or two with the 50mm, I like that lens - great value for money. I didn't realise you were so close that was too long a lens !

They all look a little soft at this size, how do you convert for uploading here?
    Before I got lightroom, I had a custom script for thumbsplus which resized by 75% twice, then applied a light unsharp mask, then resized twice, and so on - working towards 640x480 (the old maximum size for forums).
    Now I set lightroom to resize to 800px on the longest side, and apply medium sharpening, works OK for me so far.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

the first 2 were shot with the 50 MM Lens , and yes it is a great little lens.

I'm not using anything special to crop and resize, and and save as a Jpeg at 85% I'm not doing anything else . i never really though about it like that. andthen I upload to photobucket ( I'm not sure if they do any compresston either ).

Paul this is what I like to hear , opening my eyes to thing I never really thought about.

Taking the first one and looking at it here and the original one on my flash card , the original is definatly crisper , the colors of the leaves in the background are a little brighter too. I guess it is time to really learn how to use Photo shop

Thread Information