Days Fork Ski Tour

Printable View

• 03-11-2013, 10:03 AM
    Photo-John
    2 Attachment(s)
    Days Fork Ski Tour
    Made up for the last ski tour with a big, excellent one. We had some fresh snow and warm spring conditions for a nice, sunny, sweaty skin up. But it stayed just under freezing most of the day so the protected slopes still had pretty good snow when we got to the top. I only got one good photo of the descent but I think it's pretty worthy. Here's Jenni getting rewarded for 2500 feet of climbing and a 10,000+ foot summit:

Attachment 91260

And here are Rob a.k.a. zerodog and Jenni at the summit:

Attachment 91261

The action photo was taken with the Sony NEX-7 and 18-200mm lens, with a pretty huge crop. The summit photo and everything else to follow, was taken with the Olympus Tough TG-1, my go to point-and-shoot camera for outdoor stuff for the past year.
  • 03-11-2013, 10:17 AM
    Photo-John
    6 Attachment(s)
    Re: Days Fork Ski Tour
    Here are some more photos from the skin up.

Attachment 91262

Here's Jenni, just as we really started climbing:

Attachment 91263

A purty skin track photo. By this time I was already way off the back so I had plenty of opportunities to take pictures like this:

Attachment 91264

View of the ridgeline to the north, making me think I'm near the top. Lies.

Attachment 91265

Getting passed on the skin track:

Attachment 91266

A view of the north face of Mt. Superior from the summit of our climb. Superior is more commonly seen and photographed from Little Cottonwood Canyon, on the south side of the mountain, where Alta and Snowbird ski resorts are located:

Attachment 91267

I'm kinda sore today. But it sure was worth the suffering :)
  • 03-11-2013, 10:22 AM
    mattb
    Sweet! Looks like a fun day! Looks like that snow in the shade stayed nice and fluffy! I like how you caught the light hitting her plume. I try and set that effect up when I can but it can be elusive! Especially when safety is a bigger concern than photos as it often can be in the BC.
    Prime touring season is here in Co and I'm itching to get out this coming weekend. I would have last weekend but we already had family plans (that included some great powder skiing so it's not so bad).
  • 03-11-2013, 01:12 PM
    Photo-John
    It was a great day, Matt! Super psyched to have skied a new bc spot, too. Overall the snow was pretty good. In that first photo I'm facing pretty much directly south so that snow was pretty protected. However, we've had some very warm days over the past few weeks and even though this is bc action, it gets skied pretty hard. There were tracks all the way down and plenty of surprise hard spots. That kept us from really opening it up.

I we all get out more before the season is over. Hopefully, someday we can do some hiking together and have a little PhotographyREVIEW.com backcountry gathering :)
  • 03-11-2013, 04:15 PM
    zerodog
    Man that was such a fun day. Perfect weather and the snow was not too bad at all. I need to stop being such a lazy ass with pics touring. I really want to do a major photo day and get a big group together to hit jumps up in grizzly. We can bring some big lights and mess with a new idea I have. The light gun!
  • 03-11-2013, 04:46 PM
    Photo-John
    You have a snoot for your flash or what?

If there's a reasonable place to hit some drops and good snow, I might even be willing to let it rip. The snow yesterday was making me a little nervous. Every time I started to think it was all soft, I'd hit an icy or chunky spot :)