Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

New poster looking for some advice on buying a camera

First a little background: I publish a small website that covers college football - I am looking at buying a camera to cover small events like football camps and other things. I am curious what brand/model of digital SLR out there would suit my needs the best? A while back I asked a friend this and he said Canon, but I have heard Nikon is just as good. For somebody in my situation, what would you recommend? I have a budget of $2,000 so I want to get something that is going to produce good quality images, but not break the bank either. Also, I'm just looking for a lens that would be appropriate to covering these types of events. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: New poster looking for some advice on buying a camera

OK, so I did some research into this and it looks like I narrowed my option down to two: Nikon D200 and the Canon 30D. I will be looking at both in detail over the next week to see which one I like better, but basedon reviews and what not it looks like the D200 may be the way to go.

I personally don't see the 20D and 30D useful in Canon's range. Either you start as a newbie at a 400D, or you step right up to the big guns...5D or 1D series. 5D or 1D will spit in the face of Nikon any day. If you're looking for a pro-sumer camera, definitely go Nikon.

The D200 is great. Excellent noise control, superior flash system, supreme ergonomics. You also get 2 more effective megapixels.

Are you going to be shooting at night much? Do you need a lot of fps?

When I was looking at upgrading from my 300D, I was pretty much dead set on the 20D. I'd still love to own that camera. Since I grew out of the 300D right away the 1D was suggested because it fit better with the type of photography I'm doing now. My main thing is night football games. Some of my biggest issues among many were fps and recovery time of the camera. My crazy husband even though I asked for the 20D, bought me the 1D Mark IIn for xmas.

There are so many different variables that only you know about. I'd definately be looking at the 20D and 30D from the info you gave.

Again, the lens choice really depends on the elements you'll be shooting in.

I'm half asleep right now and have a fighting kids next to me. Hope I made some sense.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

When it comes to footbal, i am not sure, but I have a 30D and I love it. I shoot alot of indoors sports (gymnastics, wrestling and Basketball). I think that for the money, the 30D is great. I have had no problems with it other than me (I was learing on it) and the pics came out great. I wanted to get something that would not break the bank and still be able to get some glass.
    I think that noise is minimal for the price range and the quality of the pics is great. I was able to print 20x30 posters on Fuji Crystal paper and have them look good.

As I have said, I have not shoot any footbal, but I think there is more light with football than with gymnastics due to no flash in gymnastics and poor lighting to begin with. I would think that with good glass, footbal pics would look good...

Just my .02.....

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

i do extreme sports photoghaphy (motor bikes) i use a d70 camera has no problem coping with speed. BUT i do use a fast lens f2.8 and in my option the lens is the only way to go so blow max on lens and a fair priced body remember a 5fps camera can not shoot 5fps if shutter is at .60 sec due to poor lens and will not focus fast as if light is low i find the (vr/is) lens to slow for sport at this time.
    hope this helps

First off: Thanks for all the advice. I took what you all said and went out and held and test/played with a Canon 30D and Nikon D200 and ended up with the D200. Now I have to think about a lens. I think for what I'm shooting, football outside with plenty of daylight I should be ok with something like a Nikkor f4.5 70-300 zoom lens but I'm not positive. I'd like to spend around 500 on a lens so I'm limited in what I can get, but I wouldn't mind some alternate suggestions from you all. My only requirements are that it be appropriately suited to what I am mainly going to be shooting and that it has some decent zoom power.

Thread Information