Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

First D3s Basketball pics.

Just got the Nikon D3s, here are a few of the first pics with this camera. Shot at ISO 5000 at 1/500 and f2.8.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First D3s Basketball pics.-dsc_6456-2-1000.jpg   First D3s Basketball pics.-dsc_6502-2a-1000.jpg   First D3s Basketball pics.-dsc_6516-2-1000.jpg   First D3s Basketball pics.-dsc_6745-2-1000.jpg   First D3s Basketball pics.-dsc_6863-2-1000.jpg  

First D3s Basketball pics.-dsc_6816-2-1000.jpg   First D3s Basketball pics.-dsc_7021-2-1000.jpg   First D3s Basketball pics.-dsc_6657-2-1000.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: First D3s Basketball pics.

Larry,

I'm sure that you've already developed an intense love affair with that D3s! At ISO 5000 you should be on cruise control with that baby!

Good action captured here. I especially like photo #6 with player #20 featured. Were all of these taken with your 70-200 f/2.8?

I know that you like your images darker than what I prefer, but more exposure would sure help bring out more detail on the black faces in photos #1, 2, and 3. At least that's what my calibrated monitor is reporting!

Bob

We do differ in our processing Bob but that is just personal preference. I really hate to lose detail in the white uniforms and blow highlights. Keep in mind also that there is a very minimum of PS work done on these. If I were printing for sale I would work on some of the areas you mentioned a bit more. Most of these were shot with the 70-200mm but a couple along the baseline were with the 28-70mm.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Congratulations on the D3s, it will make it easier for you on this shootings inside dark gyms

I like the "Latest posts" button in the forum format , I get to see things I missed in the past

Nice shots once again Larry! I guess I know where all the money is in KY! ;-) You and Wayne Litmer are up there with all the gear. It's great to be back indoors for sure!
    Daniel - PixElite Photography

http://www.pixelitephotography.com
    http://www.actionphototips.com
    http://www.maxpreps.com
    I use Nikon Professional gear.

Thanks Armando, I'm looking forward to getting to know the D3s better and using all it capabilities. I think we will all like the new changes to PR once we learn to use them.

Nikon Samurai #13

Daniel I've been tracking the D3s for some time and looking for a deal on a good used one. Cyber Monday proved to be the day when prices at some of the major photo dealers took a dip. Just could not resist any longer, pulled the trigger on this bad boy early Monday morning and am loving it so far.

Nikon Samurai #13

Larry,

I know a guy in Georgia who recently complained to me about the exposure challenges associated with photographing black athletes wearing white uniforms.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob32 View Post
    Larry,

I know a guy in Georgia who recently complained to me about the exposure challenges associated with photographing black athletes wearing white uniforms.

Bob
    There are always challenges with exposure with indoor sports and we each try to handle them as we think best fits the situation. The only ones that always seem to get it right are the SI guys, and they have gobbs of money to throw at the problem.

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    There are always challenges with exposure with indoor sports and we each try to handle them as we think best fits the situation. The only ones that always seem to get it right are the SI guys, and they have gobbs of money to throw at the problem.
    Larry,

Yeah, and if the SI guys don't get the basketball shots with their handheld cameras their umpteen remotes will. Here's a link to a video featuring an SI photog you might find interesting:

Professional Sports Photography Tips – PictureCorrect

Bob

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

They look good, even at thumbnail size they look clean and sharp.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

woa,slam duck, i will the story "slam duck", you have nice shoots, they are so beautifuls

Thread Information