Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Cyclocross With the Olympus OM-D E-M1

So, I've been a naysayer when it comes to continuous auto focus and the Olympus Micro Four Thirds cameras. That even goes for the original OM-D. In spite of some widespread claims about the continuous AF being sports-worthy, I just hadn't had any success with it. And my initial tests with the new OM-D E-M1 had me convinced the continuous AF still wasn't up to snuff. But I decided to give it another chance and took the camera to a local cyclocross race today. And it really surprised me. All of these photos were taken using the 14-150mm Olympus lens and continuous auto focus.

Cyclocross With the Olympus OM-D E-M1-_a271087_1200.jpg

Cyclocross With the Olympus OM-D E-M1-_a271132_1200.jpg

Cyclocross With the Olympus OM-D E-M1-_a271471_1200.jpg

Cyclocross With the Olympus OM-D E-M1-_a271555_1200.jpg

Cyclocross With the Olympus OM-D E-M1-_a271590_1200.jpg

Cyclocross With the Olympus OM-D E-M1-_a271593_1200.jpg
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Cyclocross With the Olympus OM-D E-M1

I modified my standard technique a bit to get these photos with the E-M1's continuous auto focus. With a Nikon or Canon DSLR I can be pretty sloppy about how quickly I get the focus point on my subject. I found that with the E-M1 I have to get the focus point on my subject and wait a second before I start shooting. I also found that I had more success with the slower burst rate. I'm guess that, since the sensor has to do double duty for both image capture and focusing, the high-speed burst is just asking too much. But if I started tracking a little earlier than I normally would, and used the slower burst, I got very good results. And cyclocross is a tough subject. There's not a hell of a lot to focus on, and the racers are moving very quickly relative to my distance. Here are a couple more photos of some racers you all might recognize: my wife Jenni, in her very first cyclocross race; and photographer Chris See, known here on the site as Chris350. Chris has gotten a little obsessed with CX racing since he did his first race, last season

Cyclocross With the Olympus OM-D E-M1-_a271601_1200.jpg

Cyclocross With the Olympus OM-D E-M1-_a271135_1200.jpg
    Photo-John

Here are a few more, taken using standard single-shot auto focus. In this corner, single-shot worked just fine. But I am very pleased to have figured out how to get good results with the E-M1's continuous auto focus. I really liked the camera before I figured out the continuous AF. But now that I know I can use continuous AF, it's that much more versatile.

Cyclocross With the Olympus OM-D E-M1-_a271626_1200.jpg

Cyclocross With the Olympus OM-D E-M1-_a271344_1200.jpg

Cyclocross With the Olympus OM-D E-M1-_a271412_1200.jpg
    Photo-John

Nice, good to know. Photos look great! What a punishing sport! I need a CX bike but I just ordered a K-3 instead. I also need a new mountain bike (maybe two) so it may be a while.
    One of these days...

Matt-
    I went out there with the intention of proving once and for all that the OM-D AF system doesn't work for sports. I was wrong. And I'm happy I was wrong. It definitely isn't as snappy or accurate as a Nikon or Canon DSLR. But if you use the right technique, it absolutely works. Now I really want to buy an E-M1

CX bikes are super fun. I bought a low-end one a few years ago so I could keep my cardio fitness up in the winter; and as a replacement for a road bike. Even my cheap CX bike is sooo much better than any mountain bike on pavement and I really love it. Also, it's really fun on trails that would be boring on a mountain bike because it's so crappy. I highly recommend getting one. A cheap one. If all you know is mountain bikes, it's a huge upgrade for road and bike path riding and you can still ride it on dirt. It's an all-around win.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    Nice, good to know. Photos look great! What a punishing sport! I need a CX bike but I just ordered a K-3 instead. I also need a new mountain bike (maybe two) so it may be a while.
    One of these days...
    I got my hands on a K-3 for a few minutes last week. It felt great. I played with the continuous AF too, but just walking around in a room - nothing that would really give me a feel for how well it would actually perform for serious action. I've been hearing nothing but good things about it, though. It sounds like the image quality is excellent. I talked to one photographer who replaced their Nikon full-frame camera with a K-3. No joke.
    Photo-John

Nice shots PJ looks like the racers had a great day to be out on the bikes. It looks like Jenni has her technique down for shouldering her bike. Matt you definitely need to pick up a CX bike. I think I road my Ibis Mojo 3-4 times this year because I always go for the Rocky Mountain CX first. It is great for around town commutes, hopping curbs, and some of the dirt paths through the parks. I also use it to pull my 2.5 yr old daughter around in the trailer. The same old local trails that i started to get bored with became fun again on the CX.

PJ You got some nice action shots. I do not know if it is the resize for the site or the camera but these still do not look as sharp and clean as the mtb stuff I am used to seeing from you. I by no means am saying that they are bad just not as good as you usually provide. That being said I do not believe the E-M1 would be the first camera I would grab to go shoot action but because of it's size I think it would make a great travel camera and alternative to a larger dslr for trips like hiking, biking, backcountry skiing/boarding where you may want a good quality set up but not the bulk and weight.

Quote Originally Posted by agaduc996 View Post
    but because of it's size I think it would make a great travel camera and alternative to a larger dslr for trips like hiking, biking, backcountry skiing/boarding where you may want a good quality set up but not the bulk and weight.
    Exactly

I took the E-M1 out to shoot CX racing because it's the hardest AF subject I regularly shoot. It was a test of the AF system, not really a serious CX photo effort - although I did get some good stuff. The smaller sensor definitely isn't as good as an actual APS-C sensor but it's surprisingly good for how small it is. And knowing that the auto focus system can now be reliably used for continuous AF makes this camera even more appealing. I wouldn't use it to shoot Sea Otter or Red Bull Rampage, but I'd love to have one for my mountain bike pack.
    Photo-John

Thread Information