• 11-24-2012, 09:17 AM
    Bob32
    1 Attachment(s)
    Basketball: Season finally underway. Whoopie!
    I attended my first basketball game of the season last night. It was great! Local Butte College hosted College of Alameda in a non-conference game. Alameda is located in the Oakland area on the east side of San Francisco Bay. They had the superior team this night They led by only three points at the half but continued to pull away in the second to eventually end up the victors by a 69-58 score.

I just started to edit my images this morning and rather than waiting until I complete a bunch thought I would post my first edited shot for starters. This action took place very near the end of the game when I took a some wide angle shots at the 24 mm. setting on my zoom.

Camera: D700+ 24-85 f/2.8-4. Exposure manually set at 1/500, f/4, and ISO 8,000.

Comments are welcome.

Bob
  • 11-26-2012, 09:47 AM
    Old Timer
    Re: Basketball: Season finally underway. Whoopie!
    I love to use my 12-24mm under the basket like this. You captured a lot of action in this frame. I've shot three of four college games this season but my high school season finally starts this week. I should be fun since our school replaced the light over the summer and I should have a much better shooting environment.
  • 11-26-2012, 10:17 AM
    Bob32
    Larry,

I waited until the last 5 minutes of the game before I started shooting with the zoom at the 24 mm. setting. Next time I intend to start earlier! 24 mm. is as wide as I can go, but that covers a lot of territory. For your information this image was shot horizontally and cropped vertically to get the result you see here.

Bob
  • 11-26-2012, 11:23 AM
    Old Timer
    I will generally either shot very early in the game like this or in the closing stages. I see them as more of a novelty shot, but I love the effect.

Just pulled the trigger on a D3s hope to have it for games this weekend. Very excited about adding it to my stable of camera equipment.
  • 11-26-2012, 11:58 AM
    Bob32
    Larry,

Congrats on the D3s. That baby will put you at the top rung for shooting sports. Now you can try shooting at ISO 25,600 to see what kind of results are obtainable! Hopefully at this late date you managed to get one for a much more favorable price than what they were going for when Nikon was still making them. I remember when you could buy two D700s for the price of the D3s and still have a few hundred dollars left over.

Bob
  • 11-26-2012, 12:25 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob32 View Post
    Larry,

Congrats on the D3s. That baby will put you at the top rung for shooting sports. Now you can try shooting at ISO 25,600 to see what kind of results are obtainable! Hopefully at this late date you managed to get one for a much more favorable price than what they were going for when Nikon was still making them. I remember when you could buy two D700s for the price of the D3s and still have a few hundred dollars left over.

Bob

I've been tracking them for some time now and always hesitated to pull the trigger. Wanted to buy from a reputable dealer so I avoided some of the deals I saw on Ebay. Cyber Monday proved to be my down fall when I checked this morning two of the more reliable sites had their prices lowered on the D3s. I actually bought it for $500 less than I thought I would have to pay last week. Glad I held off.

I think it will be a perfect complement to the D700. I've been trying to use the D7000 as the second camera but have not been 100% pleased with the results and performance with the D7000 as a sidelines sports camera. Although I think it is a wonderful camera for many other types of photography. It's my go to when the grandkids are running around the house.
  • 12-06-2012, 11:42 AM
    Photo-John
    Love this photo, Bob! It's a super-dynamic composition with a ton going on - including the shooter's teammate about to get kicked in the huevos! :)
  • 12-06-2012, 02:33 PM
    Bob32
    Captain John,

I'm glad that you like this shot. Now that I have looked up the urban dictionary definition of huevos I can comment further. It appears that you believe the shooter to be Alameda player #13. That's quite understandable considering how high this photo shows him jumping. However, the actual shooter is Butte player #11 who has just descended from his leap in the air to propel the ball toward the hoop. #13 jumped very high in a failed attempt to block the shot.

Later today I will be attending a local high school basketball tournament where four games will be played today followed by four more games tomorrow. I hope to capture a few more similar wide angle shots which will hopefully show as much or more action than this shot.

I note that there seems to be a shortage of basketball shooters in this forum. Are they hiding out somewhere? Larry (Old Timer) and I seem to have very little company posting basketball action images.

Bob
  • 12-07-2012, 07:18 AM
    SmartWombat
    Interesting, I misread that image in the same way.
    I wondered where all the other players have gone!
  • 12-07-2012, 07:48 AM
    Bob32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat View Post
    Interesting, I misread that image in the same way.
    I wondered where all the other players have gone!

The original image showed eight players, but three were cropped out during the editing process. I crop vitally every image I edit.

Bob