Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Basketball: Butte College women and men fall at home

The local Butte College mens and womens basketball teams both lost at home on January 21 to Shasta College. Ouch! Here are two photos from the mens game and one from the womens game.

Camera: D700 + 50 mm. f/1.8. Exposure manually set at 1/500, f/2.8, and ISO 3200.

Comments are welcome.

Bob

1. Player #20 is small in stature but a real dynamo on the court. She’s an aggressive charge-ahead type and frequently leads the team in scoring which she did in this game with 21 points.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Basketball: Butte College women and men fall at home-7rb_1669_2.jpg   Basketball: Butte College women and men fall at home-7rb_1815_2.jpg   Basketball: Butte College women and men fall at home-7rb_1891_2.jpg  

Re: Basketball: Butte College women and men fall at home

Your usual quality Bob, great detail and good action. Seem every position that we might choose to shot from has it's advantages and it's disadvantages. Your #3 is an excellent example of a good shot from under the basket, but #2 brings up the short comings of that position by including the distraction of the basket supports.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Larry,

Thanks for your comments.

Regarding #2 I much prefer catching the action before the ball gets behind the backboard, but in this case the best shot in the burst sequence happened to be this one. At least these days the backboards are transparent so that you can see what's happening on the other side. A zillion years ago when I was playing basketball in school I can't recall encountering such a thing as a transparent backboard.

Bob

The 'rebound' is clean and good. The subjects and their actions were messed up but if you look on the picture quality, its a very clean work well-done.

Quote Originally Posted by RoguePix View Post
    The 'rebound' is clean and good. The subjects and their actions were messed up but if you look on the picture quality, its a very clean work well-done.
    RoguePix,

I appreciate your comments about very clean work. Not long ago I found out to my surprise that my images were exhibiting a lot of noise and artifacts that weren't apparent to me. To clean up my act I decided to shoot and process RAW files instead of JPEGs and also made a number of changes in my workflow. This seems to have achieved positive results.

I still can't quite believe I made the switch from JPEGs to RAW! However, I am finding out that processing RAW files is not as bad as I found it to be when I tried it more than once earlier in my digital experience. Live and learn!

Bob

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Like everything else, handling RAW files takes practice.
    But it is well worth it.

and also made a number of changes in my workflow. This seems to have achieved positive results.
    Over in the Photography Software & Post Processing Forum if you would talk wbout your workflow I think it would be interesting to others in your position just starting out with RAW.
    Not just for sports photographers, I think it's a good general interest topic.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Paul,

I haven't visited the Photography Software & Post Processing Forum yet. I'll have to give it a look-see.

Bob

Photo Moron PM

great stuff
    our baselines are too small to get on
    is that a remote camera?
    "I'm just an ATM machine"

Quote Originally Posted by burnet44 View Post
    great stuff
    our baselines are too small to get on
    is that a remote camera?
    Thanks much.

I have never used a remote camera. So far I have found only one high school gym in this area where the distance between the baseline and the wall is so narrow as to give me concerns. Otherwise I have no compunctions about planting myself behind the baseline in the vicinity of the basket. I've occasionally had to dodge a charging basketball player heading in my direction but so far have been fleet enough to get out of the way in time. May my good fortune continue!

Texas does things in such a big way that I'm surprised to hear that the schools there don't provide generous space behind the baselines!

Bob

Hello! I am very glad that I got to your forum. The question about girls and boys in college is very specific, because in different colleges the number of boys and girls varies greatly. Of course there should be gender equality in college and discipline, in my opinion this is real study. I watched a lot of information on the Internet, but decided to order several satties on this topic on the website https://assignment-helpers.co.uk , where I learned a lot for myself. Of course you need to listen to your children, because they will need to study in college. If you want to order several articles on this topic, go to the site that I left in this text.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob32 View Post
    The local Butte College mens and womens basketball teams both lost at home on January 21 to Shasta College. Ouch! Here are two photos from the mens game and one from the womens game.

Camera: D700 + 50 mm. f/1.8. Exposure manually set at 1/500, f/2.8, and ISO 3200.

Comments are welcome.

Bob

1. Player #20 is small in stature but a real dynamo on the court. She’s an aggressive charge-ahead type and frequently leads the team in scoring which she did in this game with 21 points.

Basketball is the best game that I like the most in all the games and winning or losing a game is part of the game, so someone should not be unhappy about that. I am a huge NBA fan and Michael Jordan has always been my inspiration, I still play basketball every day after doing college essay writing service work and I am very much happy in that.

Join hands to protect the health of loved ones and community from corona virus with the best practices that health professionals recommend wearing a mask every day in public and washing hands with an antiseptic solution. mapquest driving directions

Thread Information