And on to Basketball

Printable View

• 11-26-2007, 05:28 PM
    JBPhoto
    5 Attachment(s)
    And on to Basketball
    The local high schools have their first day of basketball tryouts today (I know, we're late here in the east) but the college season is already underway with games. Here are a few from my first game of the season on Saturday.
  • 11-26-2007, 08:43 PM
    Mule
    Re: And on to Basketball
    Great shots, JB. Thanks for posting. Great, bright, clear photos.
  • 11-27-2007, 06:06 AM
    Homer
    These look good, nice color and WB. Nice capture on the first one.

Jim
  • 11-27-2007, 08:51 AM
    JSPhoto
    lol, I still can't get over that second shot though. The guy walking on air, it just looks like you stuck someone elses head on this body, and the head is too small for the body, it's just freaky! :eek:

JS
  • 11-27-2007, 11:06 PM
    ciddog91
    I like #2. I think it showes the intensity of the game.

Phil
  • 11-28-2007, 09:36 AM
    Old Timer
    Nice kick off to your basketball season. #2 was the one that caught my attention. Love how you caught him in full stride mid air like that.
  • 12-06-2007, 07:16 PM
    JETA
    Congrats on POTW! Amazing shot!
  • 12-06-2007, 07:41 PM
    jorgemonkey
    Did you strobe these, or were you just lucky enough to get a really bright well lit gym?

Congrats on the POTW :)
  • 12-08-2007, 06:24 AM
    JBPhoto
    Thanks! And yes, these were strobed with AB 800's, full power bounced off the ceiling.

Thanks JETA, how's the leg?
  • 12-08-2007, 11:23 AM
    dhyravy
    Really great captures JB. BB is a great sport for emotion and athletic effort along with football. I really like the "up close and personal" type shots. I found out a long time ago that "tight is right" for sports action.
  • 12-10-2007, 11:44 AM
    greatsave9
    Awesome shots! Any advice on shooting, I'm doin a BB game tomorrow at Villanova University for a friend. Got my 2.8 70-200 and 1.8 50mm.

I'm guessin near the basketball nights shooting down is the best area to be. I'll try my flashes during breaks and warmups, but don't want to blind or distact during the game.
  • 12-10-2007, 01:10 PM
    JBPhoto
    Thanks, I'm usually on the floor, either in the corner or at the baseline 10 feet in from the sidelines. You maybe able to get away with your f/2.8 depending on the lighting, but if not you've got the f/1.8. You won't want to be up in the stands with a 50mm though. These were strobed, which makes a big difference. Take a look at dhyravy's posts on off camera flash from the corners, that might help but you'll need two flash units and radio triggers.
  • 12-12-2007, 10:13 PM
    carrelc
    Where do you place your strobes and are they hot shoe type or monolights?
  • 12-12-2007, 11:27 PM
    dhyravy
    I use hotshoe types (Sunpak 383) with RF triggers and I believe JB uses AB800s with a similar (Pocket Wizard) type triggering system. It's really all in your approach to using flash. My method is to "nudge" the ambient light to allow higher shutter speed and provide more "pop" to the photos. The other school is to overpower the ambient. Both work well and give much the same results but usually require different equipment. I need to be mobile since I may shoot more than one game in a night, and setting up my small flash & clamp rig only takes about 5 minutes. Another advantage for me is that I don't require AC power so this setup can be used virtually anywhere.
  • 12-12-2007, 11:32 PM
    livin4lax09
    yeah, if you overpower the ambient, you don't run into the risk of ghosting. If you don't overpower, you may see it. I try to shoot about 3-5 stops under ambient.
  • 12-13-2007, 08:54 AM
    VinnyC01
    Wow - they look awesome! That's HS? This looks like college age.
  • 11-27-2019, 07:57 PM
    k88viet
    2 Attachment(s)
    Do you think this is Canon 40 D camera for sports photo, check here to see euro soccer photo
    Attachment 93514
    Attachment 93515
  • 03-05-2021, 09:03 PM
    chia88
    Often times, we get confused when we finally hear the exact term of website development services apart from the internet developer being used interchangeably. But the thought is broken when you look at this, all your personal confusion can disappear. fireboy and watergirl