Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Question Ball Head for Monopod

I have a Slik Pro Pod 382CF monopod & am in need of a recommendation for a ball head. The head will support up to a maximum weight of 5 lbs. And since the reason I bought the 382CF monopod was for it's light weight, I am looking for a ball head that is lightweight as well.

Thank you for any recommendations. I appreciate it.

Re: Ball Head for Monopod

To some this will sound dumb. But check out the new joby ball head made for the big gorillapods. It is Arca Swiss compatible and small and light. It seems pretty nice too. It is also about $60.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I have a Slik Pro Pod 381CF, and like you, I wanted a head that was functional, but wouldn't add a lot of weight. I went with the Manfrotto 3229 head. It's not a true ball head, but it's a swivel tilt head. I didn't see the need for a full ball head since you are able to pan left and right simply using the monopod as your pivot point. I think the 3229 head may have been discontinued but there is now the Manfrotto 234 and the Manfrotto 234RC that comes with a quick release plate. Both will support up to 5.5 pounds and weigh 9.5 oz.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I 2nd zerodog's suggestion. The joby's head is worth a look especially if you don't need it for heavy lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I have a Slik Pro Pod 381CF, and like you, I wanted a head that was functional, but wouldn't add a lot of weight. I went with the Manfrotto 3229 head. It's not a true ball head, but it's a swivel tilt head. I didn't see the need for a full ball head since you are able to pan left and right simply using the monopod as your pivot point. I think the 3229 head may have been discontinued but there is now the Manfrotto 234 and the Manfrotto 234RC that comes with a quick release plate. Both will support up to 5.5 pounds and weigh 9.5 oz.
    Thanks, Mike. Since I already have a Manfrotto tripod/ball head, I am quite pleased with the brand. I will check your suggestions.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kitjv
    Thanks, Mike. Since I already have a Manfrotto tripod/ball head, I am quite pleased with the brand. I will check your suggestions.

One thing I didn't mention that I should have. When I'm using my monopod, it is with a long lens with a tripod collar. The tripod collar lets me switch from horizontal to vertical shooting without needing the full movement of a ball head or an expensive L bracket. It also keeps the weight centered above the monopod and not off to one side like a ball head would.

If you are shooting with a lens that doesn't have a tripod collar, then a ball head may be a better option for switching from horizontal to vertical.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

If you are using a tripod collar on the lens you might want a pan / tilt head instead of a ball head. I think a ball would just get annoying unless it's a really good one.

Thread Information