Airborne MTB

Printable View

• 01-14-2013, 09:16 PM
    armando_m
    Airborne MTB
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com..._0699-Edit.jpg

I was out waking the dog on a hill and found this group of youngsters doing crazy stuff with their bikes,
    shot with a Canon S95 camera. 1/500 and the biker is still blurry!
    I did prefocus around the white sacks of sand, which are indeed in focus, DOF includes the trees behind him and yet the biker is still blurry, it's got to be motion blur

Still happy with how it came out

Photojohn commented in the gallery that panning or using a higher speed (1/1250) will reduce the motion blur, I did consider panning , but ...
    1. I'm not that good panning and it will be specially difficult using the read LCD panel in bright sunlight
    2. this was the last jump , they moved to another location and I did not follow them
  • 01-15-2013, 12:24 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: Airborne MTB
    This is a nice photo, Armando - especially considering you don't usually shoot action like this. The light is beautiful and I think it's great that you shot it with the S95 :)

One of the things you learn shooting action is what kind of technique and shutter speed you need to capture certain subjects. For dirt jump photos you need a pretty fast shutter speed - at least 1/1000th second - and a fast burst rate helps, too. It's very difficult to time jump photos perfectly so 5 FPS or faster burst can make a very big difference. Your timing in this one is pretty good although it looks like a fraction of a second sooner might have been a little better.

Have you thought about going back again for a reshoot? If this is an easily accessible shot, the kids are probably out riding almost any time the weather permits.
  • 01-15-2013, 12:50 PM
    armando_m
    Re: Airborne MTB
    I see trucks at the beginning of the trail often enough, I'll try and reshoot :)