24hrs of Le Mans 2012

Printable View

• 11-15-2012, 01:52 AM
    Inmotion-Photos
    24hrs of Le Mans 2012
  • 11-15-2012, 08:11 AM
    SmartWombat
    Re: 24hrs of Le Mans 2012
    The viewpoint in #4 is interesting, it looks too high to have been taken handheld leaning over the car.
    How did you do that?
  • 11-15-2012, 08:58 AM
    Inmotion-Photos
    @SmartWombat, thanks for your reaction.
    The #4 photo was made from the grandstand, above the pit entry. The car stood almost still in front of the pitcrew and I hung over the edge to take the shot. I little risk but I love the result :wink5:
  • 11-15-2012, 09:25 AM
    Photo-John
    Beautiful photos! Welcome to the site. You and SmartWombat should have plenty to talk about since he shoots car racing, too. Make sure to check out his posts, if you haven't already.

What kind of equipment are you using? You obviously have great track access, too - do you work for a racing publication or something?

This is getting a little off the subject, but I noticed your "watermark." It's actually not a watermark and I like it. It's got great branding and it doesn't interfere with the image at all. I love it. On the other hand, I like having an actual watermark on my images since it's a lot harder to remove. Still, I really like what you've done. It looks great and it adds more information than a watermark really could.
  • 11-15-2012, 09:54 AM
    armando_m
    wow, nice images!

Envious of the access you have

the Car in #5 is weird !
  • 11-15-2012, 10:36 AM
    wfooshee
    Armando_m, that is indeed a weird car. Referred to as the "delta-wing," it's a project to develop a light-weight racing car which would have similar performance to the larger cars but use a smaller engine and less fuel (i.e. "green.")

It was punted off the track by another car at Le Mans and crashed into a wall. It ran the Petit Le Mans event at Road Atlanta in October and finished 5th overall.

My own shot of it from Sebring this past March, where it turned some display laps before the race but did not run during the race. They were there to test during the week following the race. Hopefully Inmotion won't mind this little addendum.
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-f...0/DSC_5648.jpg
  • 11-15-2012, 02:21 PM
    armando_m
    Thanks wfooshee, the asymmetric design really surprises me , most of the turn are to the left?
  • 11-15-2012, 04:39 PM
    wfooshee
    It's actually not asymmetric, it's narrow in front, normal width in back. The driver sits to one side in the cockpit, but that's because Le Mans rules specify a non-central driver position, basically allowing a theoretical passenger space. The chassis is symmetric left to right.

It's very narrow, no wings for downforce, getting downforce from the body shape, thus having very low drag compared to the conventional cars. That low drag is its secret to speed with half the power.
  • 11-16-2012, 01:45 AM
    Inmotion-Photos
    First I want to thank everyone for the positive comments! It's always nice to hear that your pictures are appreciated.

I also want to add that all photos are taken without accreditation. It is difficult around the circuit, but creative can still deliver such photos. I was able to make the pitstop photo by brutally and walked through the garage where I was stopped by nobody.

@Photo-John, I use a Canon 50D and Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM. No accreditation and not working for a racing publication or something.

@armando_m, thanks for your reaction, and don't be envious... all photos are taken with the cheapest ticket you can buy!

Dennis
  • 11-16-2012, 11:33 AM
    SmartWombat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmotion-Photos View Post
    @SmartWombat, thanks for your reaction.
    The #4 photo was made from the grandstand, above the pit entry. The car stood almost still in front of the pitcrew and I hung over the edge to take the shot. I little risk but I love the result :wink5:

I know the grandstand overhang there is almost over the pits, I thought you might have been in the pit lane. So this is a longer lens shot, thought there wasn't the distortion I'd expect form a wideangle handheld over the top.
  • 11-16-2012, 12:00 PM
    SmartWombat
    Quote:

all photos are taken with the cheapest ticket you can buy!
    That and having he nerve just to talk into the garage.
    I don't, my wife does :)
    We get to places Sir Sterling Moss has been thrown out of for having the wrong pass.
  • 11-18-2012, 11:48 AM
    kgwebmedia
    I love the night shot the best. I found shooting motorsports interesting, fun, and tiring
  • 11-18-2012, 09:19 PM
    mattbikeboy
    Awesome!! Something I've never had the chance to shoot.

mbb
  • 11-18-2012, 09:22 PM
    mattbikeboy
    Awesome!! Something I've never had the chance to shoot.

mbb