Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

2013 IU Little 500

Some of you may be familiar with the bike race The Little 500 and the movie it inspired "Breaking Away". For every one else the Little 500 is a 200 lap (50 mile) bike race held on the cinder race track in the Bill Armstrong Stadium at Indiana University. Founded in 1951 this is the 63 running of the race. The race is a relay style race with 33 four man team of students. This years race was won by the pole setters team Beta Theta Pi in a white flag lap sprint to pass returning champs Delta Tau Delta to take the checkered flag by .319 seconds. rounding out the top 5 were Phi Delta Theta (3), Cutters (4), and Black Key Bulls (5)

Bill Armstrong stadium before the race

Team CSF practicing the bike handoff.

Team Cutters with a rider switch

Ouch!! Crashing on a cinder track hurts.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 IU Little 500-img_0058-l.jpg  

Re: 2013 IU Little 500

Super group on pics. Looks like a lot of fun. We did something very similar when I was in college at Morehead State University around university circle. Lots of bloody knees and sore legs, but tons of fun.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Nice set! I especially like the panning, crashes, and bike swap shots. I have never attended the event but loved that movie as a kid. When I was a young teen I visited a friend in Bloomington and got to ride a lap on the track and take a swim in Icebox Quarry.
    Thanks for sharing those!

Thanks OT and Matt. This is a fun event to attend and shoot. To see more pictures and to read a little more go here

2013 Indiana University Little 500 | drewalvaradophotography

OP, thanks for sharing these photos and thanks also for the trip down memory lane. This race has evolved to the point where it has almost a cult following of sorts. I was privileged to see it in person almost 25 years ago. Great job!
    David Allen
    3031 Photography

St. Petersburg, FL

Thread Information