Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

2013 CycloCross Worlds

Here a a few shots of the 2013 Cyclocross World Championships.

The start of the Mens Elite race saw Klass Vantornout (Belgium) take the lead in to the first turn and into the dirt, snow and Mud.

Soon Martin Bina (Czech) and Francis Mourey (France) settled in for the lead spots.

Francis Mourey climbing the Sandstone steps.

Team USA rider Jonathan Page

2013 World Champs. Gold-Sven Nys (Belgium), Silver-Klass Vantornout (Belgium), Bronze-Lars Van Der Haar (Netherlands)
    Last edited by agaduc996; 02-04-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Excellent!

Great photos, Drew! Thanks for sharing them. There were so many good photos and videos from the CX Worlds this weekend. I wish I'd been more on top of things and made arrangements to go. I think those first two are great. I find it's always tough to get a good race start photo. I think I try too hard and blow it

Got more? Did you shoot the women? I'd love to see more photos!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Excellent!

I think what's key to that first photo is the mud splash from the leaders.
    It contributes the impression of them being out in front and going faster, the rest aren't raising the spray.

I'd like to see the women's race too.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks guys. I do have shots of the women's, and under 23, I did not catch the shuttle from the media center in time to catch the Jrs. race. They had donuts and coffee and I got side tracked by yummy treats and I was out to late with my friends from SRAM. PJ I tried a few practice shots of the start from the the Photog bleachers at the end of the start finish row and just thought it had to much of the feel of a standard Crit race. I found this spot where they make the first turn on to the main course and noticed the puddle of mud where they cross the side walk and thought "man i bet that will make a good splash as they come through". Luck and the speed of the 7D were with me. I do have shots of the finish but it started to snow pretty hard on the last lap and the photog bleachers were about 100 yards from the finish. The longest lens I had with me was the 70-200 f/2.8L II and I was having a hard time getting it to focus through the snow. Had I gotten into position sooner I should have done some test shots and prefocused for the finish. As it was I got into position just as Sven rounded the last turn and onto the the finish straight. All day the volunteers kept telling us with vest to take a different route to get to the media position. One time we were able to walk behind the podium. another time around the service tents. Just so happens on the last race they made us walk the longest way around and I almost missed the finish all together. Cant fault the volunteers (they were following orders). It just made it difficult to time getting back to the finish after shooting on the course. Oh well life goes on. I will get some more shots up soon.

Wow, really nice. That start shot is fantastic! I like that women's gallery you put up tool. Such classic CX conditions. The mud really adds to it.

Re: 2013 CycloCross Worlds

I selected one of your cyclocross photos to be a Featured Photo. It's on the Home page, in a Featured Member Photos promo article (Featured Member Photos – Valentine’s Day, 2013 | Camera News & Reviews) and it will also be in the Featured Photo Archive. Congratulations and thanks for sharing these photos with us
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information