Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Arrow 04.16.12 - NBA - Rockets vs Nuggets

The Houston Rockets took on the Denver Nuggets Monday night, April 16, 2012 at the Toyota Center in Houston. The Rockets ended up losing 105-102.

My assignment was to get some pregame people shots then shoot the game for a slideshow the next day.

I shot this game with my 300mm f/4 on my 5D Mark II because at f/4, I was going to need the higher ISO performance of the Mark II. I put my 70-200mm on my classic 5D and for wide angle shots, I brought my Rebel XTi.

I thought I'd use the Rebel for the rare wide angle shot, I put the 24-70mm on it but this decision really hurt me in the long run. I ended up getting a few good shots with the Rebel XTi, the problem was in post processing. The images were very noisy and I ended up spending a lot of time, trying to fix them. Some of the images were noiser than usual and not as sharp as they should've been. I pretty much vowed never to use the Rebel in a setting like this again. I now need to upgrade my back up camera! :thumbsup:

More shots from this game are on the Houston Press

Rockets vs Nuggets - Toyota Center - 04.16.12 - XTi_0489b by groovehouse, on Flickr

Rockets vs Nuggets - Toyota Center - 04.16.12 - 5D_7754b by groovehouse, on Flickr

Rockets vs Nuggets - Toyota Center - 04.16.12 - 5D_7717X by groovehouse, on Flickr

Rockets vs Nuggets - Toyota Center - 04.16.12 - 5DII_9452b by groovehouse, on Flickr

Rockets vs Nuggets - Toyota Center - 04.16.12 - XTi_0456b by groovehouse, on Flickr

Rockets vs Nuggets - Toyota Center - 04.16.12 - XTi_0491b by groovehouse, on Flickr

Rockets vs Nuggets - Toyota Center - 04.16.12 - 5DII_9558b by groovehouse, on Flickr

Rockets vs Nuggets - Toyota Center - 04.16.12 - XTi_0528c by groovehouse, on Flickr

Re: 04.16.12 - NBA - Rockets vs Nuggets

Love the intensity of #3 and the emotion of the last one. Great job a always.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Don't forget #5, sometimes a photographer's view means get out of the way of that ball !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Groovehouse,

Some good captures here. My favorites are #3 and and #6. However, on my calibrated monitor only #3 appears to be properly exposed. The rest of the images are somewhat dark and would have benefited from more exposure.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    Love the intensity of #3 and the emotion of the last one. Great job a always.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat View Post
    Don't forget #5, sometimes a photographer's view means get out of the way of that ball !
    Actually, I was zoomed in pretty good in that shot, so it wasn't as close as it seemed. The ball actually bounced to the right of my frame. I know because I stopped shooting to watch it. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob32 View Post
    Some good captures here. My favorites are #3 and and #6. However, on my calibrated monitor only #3 appears to be properly exposed. The rest of the images are somewhat dark and would have benefited from more exposure.
    I saw what you meant and took your advice into consideration. This past week I shot the team again and those new shots are in this thread. I hope they are brighter and better for everyone!

Thread Information