Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: Woes of the EVF

Woes of the EVF

I was out shooting a couple a few day ago both with the a850 and a77. Shooting a dropping sun. The EVF was tricky to use. I certainly couldn't depend on it to make sure exposure was right. In the end the OVF was a much better option.
    With that said do you think you could drop a traditional OVF and go to a EVF? Me I could do it but it would make taking pictures harder in tricky lighting. In the end you still have to know what you are doing to nail a shot. The EVF isn't the next coming to digital photography and I think hard nose pros are not going to easily except it.
    The VF on the a850 is huge and you could think you could walk out into the scene looking through it. It is easily the best VF I have ever looked through.
    So my questions are. Do you think the next full frame Sony will have an EVF? Do you think it will be easily excepted by pros?
    Me, when I am hitting the road the a850 is my go to camera. As basic as it is it is still a lot easier camera to deal with than the a77. The a77 is really not that much smaller than the a850 and adding an EVF to it isn't really going to make it that much smaller. Also considering there is no way you can use a EVF without a grip. The added EVF and live view eats batteries and the a850 last a long time just on one battery.
    So are you ready to ditch that OVF? Not me, not now. I love my a77 but the a850 more.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Woes of the EVF

I think you answered yourself already

Another problem I see with the current implementation of the EVF is that it is WYSWYG (What you see what you get) and this doesn't work well when using flashes, specially in a studio, or in general when using external flashes, an OVF facilitates focusing and composition , an EVF may turn out no so useful if the light is not already available

I would be very surprised to see an OVF camera from Sony - APS-C or FF.

I have never even seen one of the EVFs, so really cannot comment on its usability other than there are many who have switched and love it. You are actually one of the few who have actually used the A77 for a period of time and doesn't prefer the EVF.

As far as 'pros', I don't think that there is any camera or technology that pros do or don't use. I've seen pros at events with P&S cameras.

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

I'm puzzled. The EVF shows you the scene as the camera will record it and as it's in a viewfinder you're not bothered by external light. So what's wrong with the EVF image as you see it?
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    I'm puzzled. The EVF shows you the scene as the camera will record it and as it's in a viewfinder you're not bothered by external light. So what's wrong with the EVF image as you see it?
    It works well in good to moderate lighting. But when shooting a sunset it blows out and it's harder to see the shadow areas. The OVF on the a850 was much easier to see in and focus with. The plus side to the a77 is it will AF in extreme low light. Better than any previous camera I have owned. I guess there are goods and bads with both.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

google tells you.

Thread Information