Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: Rx1

Rx1

Just curious what everyone thinks about this I have seen much posted on it. Has anybody read anything making it worth the price?

Sony Cyber-shot RX1 | 35mm Full Frame Digital Camera | DSC-RX1/B | Sony USA
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Rx1

I have to admit that this is one I don't get. A $2800 P&S without even a zoom. The latest says that Sony announced that, unlike the picture, it actually doesn't have continuous shooting! When I saw this, I had to check that it wasn't April 1st. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Well it does look interesting. It looks as though it could be used manually fairly easy enough. But the price is what's a little scarry.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    The latest says that Sony announced that, unlike the picture, it actually doesn't have continuous shooting!
    Not sure what you're saying here. Unless there's been some sort of update, when I wrote my intro article the information I got said it could shoout 5 FPS bursts.

Here's my Sony RX1 announcement article:

The Amazing Sony RX1 Compact Camera – Full Frame Sensor & f/2.0 Lens | Camera News & Reviews

While I agree that the price is ridiculous for we normal folks, I think there is a market for a camera like this. Also, if you compare it to Leica stuff, the price doesn't look so bad. Ultimately, I think the RX1 is about Sony making a statement. They're telling everyone they're serious about the camera game. They've been doing this for a few years now and this is their boldest move yet. Right now, Sony has the biggest balls in the business.

By the way, I think I may get may hands on one of these next week...
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

John I am sure the Leica fans will no doubt love this camera. Leica faithful have been waiting for that poor mans M9 for a long time.

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Not sure what you're saying here. Unless there's been some sort of update, when I wrote my intro article the information I got said it could shoout 5 FPS bursts.

Here's my Sony RX1 announcement article:

The Amazing Sony RX1 Compact Camera – Full Frame Sensor & f/2.0 Lens | Camera News & Reviews

While I agree that the price is ridiculous for we normal folks, I think there is a market for a camera like this. Also, if you compare it to Leica stuff, the price doesn't look so bad. Ultimately, I think the RX1 is about Sony making a statement. They're telling everyone they're serious about the camera game. They've been doing this for a few years now and this is their boldest move yet. Right now, Sony has the biggest balls in the business.

By the way, I think I may get may hands on one of these next week...
    Here is the Sony Japan announcement on the 'specification change'.

Google Translate

I don't know about a Leica-like market for Sony. You know....Sony - Game Boy and "Sony of My Owny" walkman. Not the same as Leica.

Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

I don't know about a Leica-like market for Sony. You know....Sony - Game Boy and "Sony of My Owny" walkman. Not the same as Leica.
    That's the whole point. Sony is making a huge effort to show that they're not just Walkmans, TVs and Playstations. And I think they're doing a damn good job of it. Right now, there is nothing else on the market like the RX1. Even if they only sell ten of them, the message that they mean business in the high end is out there.
    Photo-John

That's the whole point. Sony is making a huge effort to show that they're not just Walkmans, TVs and Playstations. And I think they're doing a damn good job of it. Right now, there is nothing else on the market like the RX1. Even if they only sell ten of them, the message that they mean business in the high end is out there.
    I agree that they it looks great, but that's a lot of R&D that went into selling ten cameras. And I don't see how they can establish a Leica-like camera name when it still says Sony on the front and Sony still makes average consumer electronics as their main products. - Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Bumping this in anticipation for PJ's hands on review.

I know this camera would be considered a luxury to most, and isn't something that most of us would consider a viable choice for daily use do to the very specific design and function that has been delivered. However, I am really curious what can be done with the current technology when it doesn't have to try to please everyone, and can be specialized for a very specific purpose.

Besides, who knows what was learned in the creation of this beast that can be applied to a more conventional camera body or lens that we may want in the future? If you never push the limits, you never find out what is truly possible.
    Last edited by NoKnees; 10-12-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Typos

Per Phil Molyneux, President and Chief Operating Officer of Sony Electronics: pre-orders of the RX1 have been overwhelmingly positive. - Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Per Phil Molyneux, President and Chief Operating Officer of Sony Electronics: pre-orders of the RX1 have been overwhelmingly positive. - Terry
    If you build it, they will come
    Photo-John

My RX1 Hands-On Article Is Live!

Just finished my hands-on first impressions article about the Sony RX1. I wish I could use my RAW files because I think the JPEGs are a bit harsh. But other than that, I'm super impressed. Am I gonna buy one? No. But for people who can afford it and want what it has to offer, I think it rocks. Plus, I love that Sony put it out there. It's a chip on their shoulder that they're daring the other camera makers to step up and take a shot at

Sony RX1 – First Impressions Review | Camera News & Reviews

Please let me know what you think after you read the article and look at the sample photos. And if you like the article, please share it with your Facebook and other friends. This was a very exclusive opportunity and I want it to get as much attention as possible.
    Photo-John

I commented on the Review page, but will probably never see the answer so I will repeat here.

How does the AF work with the 5 fps since there is no apparent continuous AF setting?

Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Terry i don't see why you would need continuous AF to get 5fps. I never use continuous focus on any of my cameras and can shoot burst. Once it focuses just hold down the shutter. The camera doesn't refocus between shots.

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Terry i don't see why you would need continuous AF to get 5fps. I never use continuous focus on any of my cameras and can shoot burst. Once it focuses just hold down the shutter. The camera doesn't refocus between shots.
    No, it's a good question. If you're shooting a moving subject you may want to use continuous AF in burst mode. I do it all the time for bike and ski photos. Unfortunately, I didn't test either the manual focus, continuous AF or burst mode with the RX1. My main goal was to get as many good sample photos as possible. I should have checked that stuff, though. Sorry about that. The single shot auto focus worked great, though. I don't recall having any issues with it.

I'm going to check with some of the other guys who used the RX1 and see if any of them have any answers for you, Terry. I know Chris from The Phoblographer pretty much just used in manual focus mode but maybe he experimented more than I did.
    Photo-John

Terry I think you will find some YouTube stuff on it.

Sony a99/a7R

I'll check out YouTube.

When Sony changed the spec (originally there was another position on the switch for CF), I thought they went to single shot and dumped the 5 fps. I'm still trying to figure out what they did.

Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

The Sony website still shows it has CF. The front switch has AF, MF and DMF. I am sure CF probably can be set in the menu.

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    The Sony website still shows it has CF. The front switch has AF, MF and DMF. I am sure CF probably can be set in the menu.
    It originally had 4 positions on the front dial. Why would they remove one and put it in the menu?

I watched a few YouTubes, but no luck.

Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Well Terry I can't find the answer either as it seems you are the only one to notice this. The camera pictures I see with the four position switch usually have a sticker labeled not final so I guess it was a prototype. It would certainly be easier with the four position.

Sony a99/a7R

(first time poster here, lurker for awhile until I recently registered)

I agree with your comment John. Sony has been taking some chances and some are certainly paying off and in some cases beyond their expectations. For example when NEX was conceived I don't believe they expected so much demand at the higher end from enthusiasts.

Some of that demand developed around folks adapting other lenses to the platform - a happy accident (? or intentional design decision ?) made possible by the E mount's short back focal length. What's more, rangefinder lenses work quite well on the 16MP sensor in the NEX-5N (and possibly now the NEX-6) and some lenses continue to work well even on the 24MP sensor in the NEX-7 with the exception of some symmetrical wide angle lenses.

There's quite a lot of Zeiss and Leica rangefinder glass being hosted by NEX cameras and partly for that reason you've got a community pre-disposed to liking a camera like the RX1. I know I'm not the only one considering selling some of my M mount glass in order to pick up the RX1.

Mike

I am very tempted to buy the Sony RX1. Originally, I passed due to the price, but for some reason I must buy this Camera. It bothers me that it's a fixed lens, but if I really need to, I can just always crop my subject. Is it worth it to buy this camera? Or am I better off with a Fujifilm X Pro 1? Please help!

Thread Information