Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Sony DSC-S500 I/O Device Error

Hello, i am new here and i was wondering if you could help me.

I recently purchased a Sony DSC-S500 camera. I have heard good reviews about it, so i thought would buy it. When i got home, i tried uplaoding some pictures onto my computer. I plugged it in, it automatically installed the drivers (because its Windows XP) then i double clicked "my computer" and double clicked on the drive "I:\" (My camera drive). I immediately received the following error.

Code:
    I:\ is not accessible. 

The request could be performed because of an I/O device Error.
    Can someone please help me? i really like the camera, except for this error.

I am running Windows XP Home edition, i have the latest drivers, and my system is up to date.

I tried uninstalling the driver, and re-installing but didnt work, i tried reformatting the camera to factory standards ALONG with the card, no dice.

One thing i do find interesting tho, is that when i restarted after uninstalling the driver, i tried it, and it worked, on another account on my computer, but when i switched to my own user, it did not. i tried it again on the other user, and no go. it seems to disable itself on user switch.
    Last edited by Sonyman; 02-03-2007 at 06:18 PM.

Re: Sony DSC-S500 I/O Device Error

Bumpp??? Please Respond

Sonyman-
    Sorry no one answered right away. The usual answer we give for a camera connection problem is to get a card reader. A lot of people have problems connecting their cameras to the computer. I think camera companies are just not very good at writing software and creating drivers. Plus, computers are so complicated with so many variables, it's better to just simplify the issue by using a card reader. A card reader should cost you about $20 and they almost always just plug right in with no driver issues or software to load. You can leave it plugged in to your computer so you don't have to hassle with the camera's USB cable, either.

Hope you get this and it's not too late. I hate it when people who need help don't get the answers they need. Plus, I'd like you to stick around and share photos of the Maritimes
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Yeah thats what i was thinking, i found out that i can upload pictures on PTP mode, but no videos oh well, i can wait for videos till i get my card reader

How much would one of those card readers go for in Nova Scotia? i know you listed prices, but is thet USD or Canadian? Im hoping not to have to pay a gross amount for one.

You can get those card readers for very cheap on ebay, that's where I got mine.

Thread Information