Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Sony Compact Alpha Concept Camera Announcement

Sony announced a new compact Alpha concept camera at PMA. It will be a compact, interchangeable lens camera with a new HD-capable APS-C sensor that they also plan to use in some DSLRs. This compact DSLR-like camera category is starting to get really interesting now that Samsung and Sony have stepped in. Originally, it was just Panasonic and Olympus with the Micro Four Thirds System cameras. To learn more about the Sony Compact Alpha and what's happening with the category as a whole, read my PMA / Sony Compact Alpha article:

Sony Compact Alpha Announcement And EVIL Cameras At PMA >>

I think that for a lot of people, these new mini DSLRs (technically, they aren't DSLRs, but...) might start to replace true digital SLRs. They're smaller, lighter and, at least for the moment, they have better video features. What do you think? Would you buy the new Sony, whenever it actually becomes available? So far the specs are pretty vague and there's no price. But I expect it will be pretty competitive when they're ready to put it out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Sony Compact Alpha Concept Camera Announcement

Thanks for the info. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Nice reporting Photo John. Personally I think its a little to small for my taste. I like the size of my Olympus e-620 or better yet a Leica m8 or m9. Its tiny but not too tiny. But I can see lots of dslr users buying this as a camera that fits in there pocket to take everywhere.
    -
    Please do not take my photo's. Thank you
    www.SammySoliman.Smugmug.com

I just want ... and have always wanted ... better noise response on my sensor. You want to thrill this SONY user ... Noise-free ISO 5000. THEN ... I'll look, otherwise, sell it to the kids.
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

I'm actually really excited about it. I have been setting an intense gaze on the micro four thirds cameras since they were released, I really like the idea of having excellent image quality in such a small package.

I wouldn't ever see myself replacing my DSLR gear, as I'm quite attached to the organic pentaprism viewfinder. But I would love to have a compact alternative for casual outings.

Don - I find your sentiment a bit hard to believe. Have you never felt inconvenienced by the sheer size of huge DSLR equipment? Sure wed all like noise free iso 6400, but I certainly would like excellent IQ in a fraction the size.
    Last edited by Anbesol; 02-25-2010 at 11:40 PM.

With my paws ... bigger is better.

I suppose if I hand smaller ones, I might buy into that idea. I can palm an a700 ... so it's not that BIG a thing to me. I like strapping the body grip to my right hand and one-handing that puppy, when I need to.

I find that having a tiny camera on the end of the larger lenses ... a bit distressing to maintain control. It was my biggest gripe about the original Canon XT design and the current SONY +30s

Sony Compact Alpha Concept Camera Announcement-gd251-project-3-proto-15-reduced.jpg
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap
    I find that having a tiny camera on the end of the larger lenses ... a bit distressing to maintain control. It was my biggest gripe about the original Canon XT design and the current SONY +30s
    That's not a problem for me. When I've got the 70-200mm f/2.8 on my XSi, I just carry or hold the lens and the camera comes along for the ride. Not a big deal.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I'm thinking the same about my E-P1 on the back of a Bigma, John.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Well I personally would want a small compact like this for the 18-75mm focal range. I wouldn't want to pair this small thing with a large long telephoto lens. I love taking my maxxum 5 film on outings and its built smaller than the rebels and the alpha 30s. Feels much better with the 50mm than the beercan though.

Like I said I wouldn't ditch DSLR for it, but for casual outings, going to museums and parks and family events and the such, I would love the convenience.

Its not holding it up to my eye that annoys me, its everywhere in between.

Don - You stripped the exif on that. Ah well, looks like its probably several different exposures - was this project improvised or is this what you envisioned from the beginning? looks like a lot of experimentation.

Anyway its cool how different it is.

This was a recent art project for "Advanced Image Manipulation." It was a developed-over-time image ... starting with a 360-degree panorama of Chicago from the top of the John Hancock Center Observatory. I guess I took to a new level, eh?

There are two more series-images needed to truly complete the project.
    Don Schap

My Gear List
    flickr®

I have to say this Don. Amazing Image Manipulation!
    -

Cool Re: Sony Compact Alpha Concept Camera Announcement

Well, I think it clearly demonstrates that Photoshop is a lot more than just a "pimple corrector" and wrinkle remover. :thumbsup:

Sorry, we have gone

Please, do go on about how a SONY mini camera is going to save the planet.

Don Schap

My Gear List
    flickr®

Now that I have seen many pics of this new little concept camera, I have to admit its kind growing on me. But I don't understand the looks of it. They could have maid it look more like the Zeiss Ikon. Olympus maid the e-p1 and e-p2 with retro looks with inspiration from the film pen, it make's sense.
    -

Thread Information