Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Question about selling

This is the list of stuff im selling.

Sony A350 (got it Feb 4th has 1500 shots)
    Sony Kit Lense
    Minolta 70 - 210mm F4.5 - 5.6
    Minolta 50mm F1.7
    Sony Battery Grip (I only have 1 battery)

I was wondering how much could I get for all this stuff?
    The magic of photography is metaphysical. What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying. - Terence Donovan

Feel free to edit my photos, Just be kind enough to let me know what you did to it.

Sony A350
    Sony 18-70 3.5 - 5.6
    Minolta 50 1.7
    Minolta 70-210 4.5 - 5.64

Re: Question about selling

A350 - $300
    Kit lens - $40
    Minolta 70-210 ~ $40
    50mm f/1.7 - $90
    Battery grip - $150

give or take a little bit. Why are you selling them anyway?

I think it may be to much for me. Because yesterday my wife and I went to a little petting zoo type thing and I took 69 pictures and only 1 was focused right. So I dont know if anything is wrth it or If it was me, but I was hoping to get better pictures of our son. I even tryed editing them in light room but I couldn't get them as clear as they should be.So I was thinking about selling and getting a Canon or Nikon.
    The magic of photography is metaphysical. What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying. - Terence Donovan

Feel free to edit my photos, Just be kind enough to let me know what you did to it.

Sony A350
    Sony 18-70 3.5 - 5.6
    Minolta 50 1.7
    Minolta 70-210 4.5 - 5.64

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Whoa!
    I usually don't look into the forums of manufacturers other than the Nikon one because I'm a Nikon owner but I'm glad I caught this one.
    If you put some of those pics into the critique forum or here where the Sony experts are, maybe we could help you out with the focus problem.
    And if you get so you don't have as many focus problems, you'll decide to keep your stuff and learn another step and then another and then.......
    You got that camera because you see things you want to have a picture of.
    Don't let one bad outing stop you.
    There wouldn't be many photographers left if we decided our fate on one bad outing.
    Besides, all of us learn from not only our mistakes but those of others, so sharing your problem with the focus might help othes too.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by kobrien4
    I think it may be to much for me. Because yesterday my wife and I went to a little petting zoo type thing and I took 69 pictures and only 1 was focused right. So I dont know if anything is wrth it or If it was me, but I was hoping to get better pictures of our son. I even tryed editing them in light room but I couldn't get them as clear as they should be.So I was thinking about selling and getting a Canon or Nikon.
    Well honestly that doesn't sound like anything jumping to another brand will fix.

Either A) there is something wrong with your technique, B) something with your lens, or C), something with the pentamirror (which is an easy fix). I'd do some focus tests first and foremost and see whats wrong, do a close focus through tripod with a 2 second release. Don't let yourself get frustrated and abandon ship, then recreate your problem in an all new system.

Is your camera set to spot focus AF-S? Wide? Its also possible DMF is engaged and your fingers may be touching the focus ring as you zoom.

I'd rely your testing on your 50mm by the way, get a ruler, set your camera to spot focus, focus on the ruler, and see where your focus ends up in the pic. Good focus is more than just having a good camera, its also using the right techniques.

If you want to try your lens/ camera, I suggest printing page # 10 of the following pdf file:
    http://focustestchart.com/focus10.pdf
    And see if it's the camera, or lens.

Quote Originally Posted by pisco
    If you want to try your lens/ camera, I suggest printing page # 10 of the following pdf file:
    http://focustestchart.com/focus10.pdf
    And see if it's the camera, or lens.
    He has already done this with the 50mm f/1.7 to determine it is not a camera problem. See the thread

Yesterdays Outing

I also want to add that the A350 with it's 14MP CCD sensor is probably one of the top APS cameras for image quality.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Honestly Kobrien, the 50mm is the only decent lens in your bag. The other two won't show off the potential of a huge mpix crop sensor like the A350. I'd try out a decent f/2.8 zoom to really see sharper images, which will match the resolution of the A350's sensor. Wider aperture zooms also offer quicker and more accurate focus.

The 50mm f/1.7 is an excellent lens though, have you noticed any of the problems you have while using that lens? I'd try using that 50mm as much as you can and see if your results are more to your liking.

The 18-70 kit is abysmal, and those antique telephoto variable aperture zooms are rarely any good also. The kit was much better suited on a 6mp sensor, the A350 sensor easily outresolves that kit lens, even near center @ f/5.6 - 8.

Thread Information