Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Sony Alpha 100 Pictures with Stofen-Omni Flash Bouncer

I just bought the Stofen Flash Bouncer and I think I like it. I had problems before where the back ground lighting was too dark and the subjects way to bright. It's still early to say, but so far so good. I've also used it in church and the outcome was good too. I will test with it more and I'll write a review about it. Let me know what you guys think.

Flash was setup at a 45 degree angle.

Re: Sony Alpha 100 Pictures with Stofen-Omni Flash Bouncer

That first one is great, Matt! The light is really nice. Looks like it's underexposing a bit, though. That was my experience with the Stofen, too. Just check your histogram and maybe go +2/3 on the flash in the future.

I like the background in this. The shallow depth-of-field is nice and makes this background work well. I would have shot it vertical or cropped it, though.

What lens did you use for this photo?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    That first one is great, Matt! The light is really nice. Looks like it's underexposing a bit, though. That was my experience with the Stofen, too. Just check your histogram and maybe go +2/3 on the flash in the future.

I like the background in this. The shallow depth-of-field is nice and makes this background work well. I would have shot it vertical or cropped it, though.

What lens did you use for this photo?

I was gonna shoot vertical, but I thought the lighting would get messed up since the flash would be in a different angle. I know, it's a wireless flash, but I was too lazy.

I use the 28-75 F2.8. This is my favorite lens out of all. I use it the most.

Chronic Gadget Junkie SCOOTERINSLC's Avatar

I really like the first one as well. Great photo. Please post more results with your Omni-bounce as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by SCOOTERINSLC
    I really like the first one as well. Great photo. Please post more results with your Omni-bounce as time goes on.
    Yes I'll will post more pictures later.

Quote Originally Posted by cr_mmurillo
    I was gonna shoot vertical, but I thought the lighting would get messed up since the flash would be in a different angle. I know, it's a wireless flash, but I was too lazy.

I use the 28-75 F2.8. This is my favorite lens out of all. I use it the most.
    Oh yeah - I forgot about the problem withh the flash being on top of the camera

What do you mean about it being a wireless flash? Do you have a way to trigger it wirelessly?

I think I know what your next purchase is. May I introduce you to the Stroboframe flash bracket. Your wife will hate me
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

What do you mean about it being a wireless flash? Do you have a way to trigger it wirelessly?

I think I know what your next purchase is. May I introduce you to the Stroboframe flash bracket. Your wife will hate me

The flash I have has wireless capability. Aren't they know a days? If not, I guess I must have bought it at the right time. It's the low end Sony flash. I think it's the 35FM model.

Hi everyone
    i have a question, I have just purchased the sony 56 flash and my question is this . using th 18-70 lens i zoom out and the flash lights up the whole room , howerver , when i zoom in the photo is dark , what am i doing wrong?

thank you

Hi everyone
    i have a question, I have just purchased the sony 56 flash and my question is this . using th 18-70 lens i zoom out and the flash lights up the whole room , howerver , when i zoom in the photo is dark , what am i doing wrong?

thank you

I've got the F56AM flash and it has that wireless TTL deal, but I don't think I much care for the trigger. It requires you to use your built in flash to trigger the external flash. I find it very unreliable.

When I bought the Sony A700, I knew ahead of time that periferals would be more expensive, and I'd have a narrower selection, but I figures I'm not a pro, so no big deal. I don't need 100 lenses to choose from, but what I didn't consider, or even knew about was the proprietary Minotal flash shoe. I would SO be interested in one of those inexpensive Gadget Infinity radio triggers, but they all designed to work wiht hot shoe flashes. So, I can get a minotla to hot shoe adapter for abot $15 or so, but then I'd need to get some hot shoe strobes if I want to work up a wireless multi light setup...

I read a blurb somewhere that when Sony releases the new full frame 'pro' level dslr, they will also introduce a bunch of pro level lighting accessories... We'll see just how cost inhibitive they end up being.... right now synch cables for the flashes are at least $50 each, + a multi light hub, I could spend obout $200 wiring up a 2 or 3 light setup, plus the strobes themselves....

BM

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

roundthird:
    Not sure. Which camera? If a100 white/bright/shiny objects often leads to severe underexposure.
    Is the flash zooming when you zoom the lens? If not maybe the build in wide angle diffuser is down.
    Do you have samples and exif we could look at?

bmadau:
    I would SO be interested in one of those inexpensive Gadget Infinity radio triggers, but they all designed to work wiht hot shoe flashes. So, I can get a minotla to hot shoe adapter for abot $15 or so, but then I'd need to get some hot shoe strobes if I want to work up a wireless multi light setup...
    I don't follow.. If you got the hot shoe adapter to use with a radio trigger, why does that mean you need hot shoe strobes? And BTW, you don't really need the hot shoe trigger, you can plug the wireless radio to the pc port on the side of the a700. You'll have to strap the radio to the camera somehow though. I usually use a rubber band and strap it to my 56 flash which is on the camera. This is at events where the 56 is for fill or main and radio to trigger background/room lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935
    I don't follow.. If you got the hot shoe adapter to use with a radio trigger, why does that mean you need hot shoe strobes? And BTW, you don't really need the hot shoe trigger, you can plug the wireless radio to the pc port on the side of the a700. You'll have to strap the radio to the camera somehow though. I usually use a rubber band and strap it to my 56 flash which is on the camera. This is at events where the 56 is for fill or main and radio to trigger background/room lighting.
    I understand you can link via pc cable, but like you said, then you have the transmitter dangling off of the body.

As for the stobes, I don't understand the port on the 56 flash. The camera body has pc flash port that looks like a coaxial connecter type of deal, where the flash has a four pin setup. do the radio recievers plug into that port? Is that a standard port on most high(er) end flash heads? I assumed you need strobes that can mount on top of the radio recievers...

Thanks.
    BM

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

The port on the 56 is again proprietary, for use with Sony/KM off camera cable. The other port is for the external battery pack of course. I think the reason Sony hasn't put a more standard port on the flash is because you'll lose TTL metering by triggering it any other way besides via the pop-up flash.

Most radio receivers I've seen don't mount to the flash shoe but rather do connect to the flash via a port on the side, be it a pc or outlet type. Some do mount to the shoe though so those may be what you are looking at.

Now. If you really must trigger the 56 flash via wireless radio you will need to:

1) Set flash power and zoom manually.
    2) Get wireless transmitter/receiver set.
    3) Adapter for the camera (Sony/KM to standard hot shoe)
    4) Adapter for the 56 flash (standard hot shoe to Sony/KM flash foot. This also has PC port so you can trigger with the non-hot shoe type radio's)

It's a headache I know...

Thread Information