Sony A55 - Action-Worthy!

Printable View

• 02-16-2011, 12:00 PM
    Photo-John
    1 Attachment(s)
    Sony A55 - Action-Worthy!
    I've been taking the Sony A55 out on the skis to test its action shooting capability. When I first read about it that was my interest. I saw that it was fast, small and light and wondered if it would be a good backcountry action sports camera. I think the answer is yes. The only issue I've had at this point is that the auto focus has a little trouble in the snow. And snow is about as tough an AF problem as you can get. It's like trying to focus on a plain, white wall.

I've posted a couple of A55 sequences on the Sports Photography Forum and wanted to share something on the Sony forum as well. So here's a snowboard photo I really like, taken at Solitude ski resort. It was shot at ISO 800 and it's been pushed really hard to pull snow detail. Lighting conditions were tough that day.

The two sequences I shot can be seen here: http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ad.php?t=72668
  • 02-16-2011, 12:41 PM
    NoKnees
    Re: Sony A55 - Action-Worthy!
    Nice shot! Love the composition giving an accurate representation of the slope angle and an interesting, yet not distracting background... Colors look good too... Gotta love shooting in the snow on a graybird day... ;)

Hopefully I'll get some shots this weekend as we finally have some snow falling again in the Sierra... Looks like about 5-7 feet worth over 5 days... Started moist, ending light and fluffy. Just the way we like it!
  • 02-16-2011, 02:37 PM
    Anbesol
    Re: Sony A55 - Action-Worthy!
    Awesome shot John, and awesome sequence shot! Did you actually trek a tripod up there, or was that photo-merge from hand held?!

Thanks for the samples.