Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Sony 70 - 400 mm lens

Well , if my watch is correct, it is the 31st of Jamuary today. That being said, either Sony or Adorama has fallen down on the job. I have had this lens on order for awhile now. It was susposed to be released in January. Sony asked if I wanted to be alerted when the lens became available, Not a peep so far. Still shows as on order from Sony at Adorama web site. And here I just got thru bragging on Sony keeping their word about releases? Shades of Nikon?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Sony 70 - 400 mm lens

Stuff happens.
    Releases get delayed for all sorts of reasons, just be thankful you weren't in the waiting list for the RED One.
    I'd like releases to be on time, but I'd also like them to be right. Remember the 1DmkIII autofocus issues? Took a while for them to get volume shipping of the new AF submirror and to recall/adjust the early models.

On the other hand, I could point out your watch needs a spell checker
    31st of Jamuary today ... susposed to be released in January.
    No, I shouldn't do that, I know exactly what you meant !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

My watch is fine, it's the dummy on the keyboard that needs to proof read his work more closely that caused that problem. I have just purchased a medium format film camera, so I will be entertained for awhile. I need that lens by mid March because I plan to visit three local bird sancturies then.for hopefully numerous wildlife opportunities. You listening Sony?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

My typong has been gettign worse and worse recently, unlees I spell cehck it !
    No I didn't make that up, that's how my fingers output what my mind sends, scary isn't it?

I've been thinking about MF for a while too, but I'm not sure I'm good enough to justify it.
    And I've invested enough in my 35mm gear not to spend on more until things pick up.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I photograph a lot of different venues. To stick to just one type of photography is boring to me. I am retired, so any profit I make in photography goes to advance my experience with different types of equipment. While I have more Nikon equipment than any other, the D3x is however just plain out of my finiancial reach. Doesn't really matter how good the camera is, it is just plain out of my reach. I have a Nikon film camera that puts me in full frame anyway.

In order to step up to medium format,{ for landscapes mainly}, it has to be film as the equipment is supriseingly economical. Quality is outstanding, which is what I am looking for. I plan to have the film scanned and then work with the images in my usual way. I have stumbled accross a very unique, {in this day and time}, small community up in the North Carolina mountains. I plan to spend a couple weeks there this coming fall and will get to know the MF camera very well then.

Back to the 70-400 lens. I am fortunate to have these three sancturies so close. I kicked myself last spring for not going there. I have a Canon 400mm F/2.8 lens with 1.4 tele. At 64 though it is getting tougher and tougher to manhandle that lens even using a monopod, and bird photography in my experience is very tough indeed from a tripod. The Sony lens was to be my birthday present to myself, and maybe solve a lot of handling issues. However, if Sony keeps dragging their feet, I may have to change my plans. I must have something set up by mid March, {when the spring temperatures give a boost to wildlife around here}. I can get the Sigma 120-400 lens, but reports are that it focuses pretty slowly, {not good for birds}.

My hope is that Sony will get on the ball and stop acting like Nikon with this delay.

To ask a different question, why are Sony's tele extenders so expensive? Do they have some unique feature? Haven't run into any reviews out there so far.

Got an email from Adorama apologizing for the delay of the 70-400mm lens. They stated that while they valued my order, they valued my business more and gave me instructions on how to cancel the order if I wanted to.. My hats off to Adorama. I respect such professionalism.

Still not a peep from Sony on expected delivery? I have been very high on Sony up to this point. I would expect the same professionalism from them?

Quote Originally Posted by rongarrett
    Got an email from Adorama apologizing for the delay of the 70-400mm lens. They stated that while they valued my order, they valued my business more and gave me instructions on how to cancel the order if I wanted to.. My hats off to Adorama. I respect such professionalism.

Still not a peep from Sony on expected delivery? I have been very high on Sony up to this point. I would expect the same professionalism from them?
    Thank you for your understanding, which is very much appreciated.

I do hope we can continue to offer you great service - but do let us know if there is anything we at Adorama Camera or at AdoramaPix could do to make your shopping experience even better.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
    www.adorama.com

There ya go folks, professionalism at work! Just more reason for me to keep ordering from these folks.

Sony, you still not there?

To Sony: the order for this lens will self destruct in 24 hours. Do not adjust your set or change channels.

I have experienced enough of the same performance from Nikon to last me. I was merely trying to build my Sony camera equipment list. There are plenty of other avenues to take.

Thank you,

Ron

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

You may want to hang on a bit, or call Adorama and talk to them about it. It looks like the first units are being delivered.. I just read on another forum that someone received their 70-400 today.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

If Adorama hasn't received their stock yet, I heard that Berger Bros have received stock and have a few available.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935
    You may want to hang on a bit, or call Adorama and talk to them about it. It looks like the first units are being delivered.. I just read on another forum that someone received their 70-400 today.
    I have just checked, (12th February) and as yet we haven't had a delivery into the Adorama warehouse.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
    www.adoramacamera.com

Thread Information