Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: Sony 580?

Sony 580?

Well I am going to have the luxury at the end of the year to get another body for my line up. I have the E5 and I doubt it will be anytime in the future, probably two or three years, before there is an E7. So I have been shopping around and have narrowed it down to three or so cameras. I never really considered a Sony until I started looking at DXO marks.
    Camers are like guitars there is the Fender, Gibson stigma. In cameras though it is Canon, Nikon and everything else is just a camera. But I have always followed the road less traveled and marched to the beat of my own drum, so to speak. I care more about the end result and not what people think of what kind of camera I use.
    In the running is the D7000, D300s, Sony 580 and an outside chance the X100. I am looking for a killer landscape combo camera and lens.
    I know all cameras have their drawback so I want to hear the pros and cons to the Sony line. I know on my E5 what I really love the most is the swivel screen. I can turn the tripod tube upside down and get low or even have the tripod on a tree stump or rock and have the camera actually over my head. The swivel screen is a joy. Plus the level guage.
    I know the lens line up with Sony is slim picking. But here is the lens I am looking at.
    http://www.adorama.com/ISO168035ZK.html
    I am not one to change lenses a lot so I don't have any gripes about that. Give me a good walk around landscape lens and I am happy. I will have the E5 and the 50-200mm if I have to reach out and get something. So tell me about Sony and sell me on one.
    Thanks.........
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Sony 580?

I'll get back with more later, but if you are looking for a serious landscape body, the discontinued Full Frame A850 is currently selling for $1650 from Wolf Camera Clearance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-A850-24-6MP...item3f0c0e112f

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Terry if they still have them at the end of the year that might be an option.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

The Zeiss 24mm f/2 SSM is, according to photozone, the best in class lens. The resolution charts on that lens was incredible. That lens is a good reason to use Sony for landscape, and I agree the A850 would be a good tool for the job. There is the 16-80 Zeiss if you are sticking with APS.

If you are going to stick with APS, you may want to also consider the A77, which is set to be announced this month.
    Last edited by Anbesol; 08-02-2011 at 12:49 PM.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Thanks Charlie Thanks Terry. Do you know anywhere I can upload a couple of Sony raw files from the 580? I would like to try them in LR and see what I think. The Nex images are really nice but are not as sharp as the Olympus ones. But then again I have the 12-60mm Zuiko which is a much better lens the the Sony 16mm. I am real impressed with what I am seeing in the Sony line. I will look at the 16-80mm as well.

Sony a99/a7R

Not sure where to find some raws, but DPReview has their sample gallery with full size, although slightly compressed originals available at: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/re...review-samples

Does Dxo keep raws online for their reviews of cameras and lenses?

The latest "rumored" specs for the a77 list some very, very impressive functionality with a the a65 only being nerfed in the FPS shooting department... Never thought I'd care about the video functionality in my dslr, but... 1080p 60fps with full manual controls and great af has got me thinking...

Thanks NoKnees.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information