Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

sony dsc-w50 focus problem

Hello all-

Trying to get to the bottom of an issue I'm having. Basically the problem started on vacation (thankfully at the end) when something got in the lens of my camera, likely sand or water as we were at the beach. At first, I could not get the camera to focus and when I would snap a shot it would come up all washed out, basically white. When I came home I cleaned off the lens with a soft cloth and lens cleaner, which helped a bit. I find when the camera is all the way zoomed out it still is blurry, but if i zoom in a bit it focuses, although when I zoom to the max it gets fuzzy again. Furthermore, there are now faint lines in all my pictures (see below)...any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sony dsc-w50 focus problem-front-ipod.jpg  

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: sony dsc-w50 focus problem

I think it wasn't limited to getting into the lens.
    Looks like something (probably salt water) got to the electronics too.
    I'm guessing that because of the conductivity it's making a high resistance conneciton between places that shouldn't be connected, making those lines.
    It looks like it's related to the line number as you scan down the sensor, so I am guessing it's line clock related, not pixel clock.

A pain to fix though.
    Perhaps too expensive to repair vs buying a replacement.
    But I might be wrong on that.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Wink Re: sony dsc-w50 focus problem

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I think it wasn't limited to getting into the lens.
    Looks like something (probably salt water) got to the electronics too.
    I'm guessing that because of the conductivity it's making a high resistance conneciton between places that shouldn't be connected, making those lines.
    It looks like it's related to the line number as you scan down the sensor, so I am guessing it's line clock related, not pixel clock.

A pain to fix though.
    Perhaps too expensive to repair vs buying a replacement.
    But I might be wrong on that.
    I have a similar problem with my Sony Cypershot DSC-W55. When I use the camera it has horizontal lines in the pictures, but if I place the camera in the movie mode the movie is fine with no horizontal lines in the images. I have repaired Sony cameras before and just wondering if the lens assembly needs to be replaced or the main board?

Thread Information