Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: Sigma 8-16mm

Sigma 8-16mm

I have always wanted the Olympus 7-14mm for my E5 but the huge price has always scared me away. Now the future of Olympus 4/3rd mount is up in the air I just couldn't risk the move. So I now have the Sigma 8-16mm. With the crop factor it is actually 2mm wider than the Oly. It is a really sharp lens but I did experience the green flare problem that I read about in reviews. Like the Oly I can't use an ND grad on it due to the front element sticking out. But I love the lens and sure I will get a lot of use out of it. I used it here on the NEX 7. My a77 is on it's way back from Texas with a new shutter dial I hope. I should have it Tuesday but the NEX 7 is the perfect back up. I am real happy with it. I am not sure I have seen a wider lens than this one.

Blue Cat, edit 2 by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Sigma 8-16mm

Sounds like a nice addition to your bag. I have been somewhat interested in a wider lens, but not enough to spend the big bucks.

Did you use two (or more) flash for 'Blue Cat'? A really cool photo.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PWhite214 View Post
    Sounds like a nice addition to your bag. I have been somewhat interested in a wider lens, but not enough to spend the big bucks.

Did you use two (or more) flash for 'Blue Cat'? A really cool photo.

Phil
    Phil, just one inside and flashed it several times with one flash outside hand held
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

The Sigma 8-16mm has actually been compared favorably to the Voigtlander 12mm. I came across this review when looking for articles on UWA lenses:

luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/voigt_12_vs_sigma_8.shtml

I really like how it covers the use of these lenses with the NEX system, rather than having to peice together differences between the use of the LA-EA2 adapter and a traditional DSLR in my head. It really makes me want to find one of these lenses for my bag.

Edit: I'm not allowed to post links, yet, so you'll have to trust me and Luminous Landscape and copy+paste the address.

Quote Originally Posted by N0BOX View Post
    The Sigma 8-16mm has actually been compared favorably to the Voigtlander 12mm. I came across this review when looking for articles on UWA lenses:

luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/voigt_12_vs_sigma_8.shtml

I really like how it covers the use of these lenses with the NEX system, rather than having to peice together differences between the use of the LA-EA2 adapter and a traditional DSLR in my head. It really makes me want to find one of these lenses for my bag.

Edit: I'm not allowed to post links, yet, so you'll have to trust me and Luminous Landscape and copy+paste the address.
    I have never used the 12mm Voigtlander but have the 15mm. If you like wide angle the Sigma would be on top of my list. It really has minimal distortion for such a wide angle, plus it is quite sharpe in the corners.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information