Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Should I upgrade?

I currently have a Minolta Maxum 5D. I have a Tamron 28-78 mm 2.8 lens, Tamron 100-300 mm lens and a Minolta 50 mm lens. I like to take pictures at the grandchildrens sports and am not happy with the noise that I get on my pictures. I am thinking of upgrading to the Sony A700. I would appreciate any feedback from those that have this camera and what you think of it. I am thinking it would be a big improvement over my current camera,
    What do you think?
    Thanks for any replies.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Should I upgrade?

I think the a700 is a great choice! It'll be leaps and bounds beyond the 5D. Check out the user reviews on this site. Here's the link:

Sony Alpha a700 user reviews

Thanks so much for the feedback and the site for the reviews. I appreciate it and am pretty sure I will upgrade to the Sony A700 instead of switiching over to another brand.

I made the switch from the 5D to the A700 last spring and have been loving it since. The noise isn't much different, but it certainly helps to have the 1/3rd stop ISO options that the A700 has (800-1000-1250-1600). It really maximizes the capability of the lens too - 12 megapixels is a much better match for my lens than 6 was...

That is good to know. Right now I have to set my ISO quite high (3200) to get my shutter speed up higher and it would be nice to have a faster shutter speed. I am hoping the price drops just a little bit later this fall.
    Thanks for the response.

Thread Information