• 05-31-2011, 03:36 AM
    rudiK
    Replacement for Sony DSC V1
    I presently own a Sony DSC V1, which has been taking very satisfactory pictures for several years. It has a number of unusual features which I value very highly. I now want to replace it with something a bit more advanced, but seem to be unable to find a camera which offers the features of the DSC V1 in a small package. Can any of the forum members point me towards a camera with the following features (in order of priority):

1. Optical viewfinder
    2. Optical image stabilization
    3. Night framing and night shoot
    4. Active focusing beam (laser hologram)
    5. At least 4X optical zoom
    6. Good quality lens
    7. Good quality video (30 fps HD)
    8. 8 MP or more
    9. About the same size as the DSC V1 or smaller
    10. Robust, with good build quality

Many thanks for taking the time to respond! I have done Internet searches for a considerable time now and don't seem to be able to find what I am searching. It seems there is no present model that has those functions, but maybe somebody can point me to a past model which I could purchase used, or knows something about upcoming future camera models that might fit the decription?
  • 05-31-2011, 11:27 PM
    Anbesol
    Re: Replacement for Sony DSC V1
    #4 is called the "AF Assist lamp"

The only thing that meets that criteria in the Sony line is the HX100V With the exception of your number 9.

FYI - this uses an electronic viewfinder, not an optical viewfinder. Optical viewfinders are about the most useless novelty on those little cameras anyway, an electronic view finder is MUCH more preferred over an optical viewfinder.

Although, I don't know what your budget is, a Canon G12 or an Olympus PEN may be a better option for you.
  • 06-01-2011, 01:06 PM
    Franglais
    As far as I'm aware, there are only 4 point-and-shoots on the market with an optical viewfinder:

- Leica M9. Doesn't do video. Oh and it costs $7000
    - Fuji X100. Fixed focal length lens
    - Canon G12 and Nikon P7000

I had a look at the P7000 this afternoon. The optical viewfinder is horrible, but I think it's what comes closest to your requirements.
  • 06-03-2011, 10:04 AM
    Anbesol
    Wow, really? It didn't use to be that way. Oh well, good riddance! Those kinds of optical viewfinders suck anyway.

And the original poster has yet to return anyway.