Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

A290 Simplicity ?

I cope with high functioning Autism and camera collecting and taking considered snapshots helps keep the shadows at bay .

I am fortunate, through an inheritance , to have been able to afford a Leica M8 , adapted to accept Sonnar and Jupiter lenses from my Contax / Kiev collection . I love it , but tend to keep it for special occasions so as to extend it's life .

I also have twin used Leica Digilux 3 / Panasonic L1 bodies 'cos I love the traditional interface , used 4/3rds zooms are very reasonable - and my many Rokkors live again !
    Although I love using them , especially with the bounce flash facility , they are squinty to focus !

I also aquired a used Pentax K10d purely to use inexpensive [ at the time ] 28 / 50 and zoom lenses .But it's a bulky , heavy beast for me and is awkward to use .

I recently added an ex-dem Panasonic G1 , as both compact point and shoot and to use both Leica screw USSR lense and the Rokkors - rather seduced by the micro 4/3rds hype I guess .
    This was to be my last digital camera due to enforced retirement , but the EVF gives me a headache ! I mean it's useable , and I will not get rid of it , but I have little idea what the exposure will come out like [ I am useless with live view !

It makes no sense whatsoever to buy into another system , especially one which does not readily accept manual lenses , and considered a lighter and smalller Pentax , but I played with a Sony A290 , and it was so reminiscent of my light and competent Minolta 404si ....
    At first , I could not grasp why it is so perfect for me , then I realised that it is devoid of all the dials which protrude from most DSLRs . It's smooth and uncluttered , which is perfect as ASD gets hung up on details and is light and compact . Even the main dial is recessed into the body !
    The downside is that many elements are menu derived , but at least I won't worry about knocking the single shot / exposure compensation etc dials out of sync as I have on the G1 !
    I don't need the guides offered , but it's a good idea for new users , and all the usual facilities are present , including a decent sensor as entry level cameras now compete with previous generation mid priced models .

I have the Minolta 35/80 lens from the 404 , which adds little extension to the standard zoom , but I like the 120mm which it proffers .

I would like to buy an adapter for my Rokors , but am concerned about the loss in quality due to the glass insert , and how manual lenses work with the A290 .

I know - I could have a good system with many lenses for the same outlay , but I have been learning what works with my ' mind blindness ' , and all give me a great deal of pleasure .

Re: A290 Simplicity ?

Thanks so much for your post! I have to admit, I anjoyed reading a post by someone with autism. It's sort of a look into a different world and it's interesting to see your perspective on things - especially the A290

So are you asking us if we think you should buy an A290 or did you just want to share your experience with it? I understand you not wanting to invest in another camera system - there's certainly no shortage of cameras in your life. But if the design of the A290 helps you take more and better pictures, then maybe it would be a good addition to your collection. Because taking pictures is really what it's about.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I have not tried, but the Sony Alpha community generally does not recommend using the adapters with glass for SR-mount lenses due to reduced IQ. The exception may be using the old Minolta A-mount to SR-mount 2x teleconverter - very hard to find. – Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thanks guys .

I did buy the A290 and I love it !

I do not wish to expand the Pentax in terms of auto focus lenses , neither would I wish to buy prime lenses for a camera with an EVF like the G1 , though I know it's the way it's going , it plays havoc with my ASD !

[ I like constancy without the ' window ' changing all the time , so a prime fixed focal length lens is best - and a rangefinder with clear frame even better , which is where emMa8 / M8 with vintage Summitar is just so magical ]

The Pentax remains stand alone system with kit lens and K 50 f1.7 / 28 f 2.8 / 80-200 [ equ 120 - 300 ] manual lenses .
    It's not going anywhere , but will have less use now .

Yes , using SR lenses on the A290 is a no-no , but this has been a frustration back in my 7000i days , but the G1 steps into the breach here.

I like the nom 75mm which the Pentax 50mm gives on APS-C so a Sony 50 f 1.8 auto focus lens would probably be my sole lens for the A290 .

The neat 135 f2.8 Rokor creates a tiny fast 270 at infinity [ no focus worries ] on the L1 plus my only long 80-300 equ Olympus auto focus zoom 'cos they are so cheap used , so I have admittedly dated cameras for long distance .

I used the A290 at a childs' Birthday party , along with the G1 with 35mm f2.5 manual Color Scopar for interiors and the old L1 plus 40-150 [ equ 80-300 ] for shots from an upstairs bedroom into the garden .
    Neat having different cameras for different viewpoints .

I love using the Sony , the G1 is kinda OK for a budget / compact alternative [ £280 ] camera to carry anywhere , with playtime for lenses , but the A290 just fits somehow !

I have no intention of buying any more digi-boxes , but ... an A580 body plus 50mm would be my altimate retirment DSLR as that sensor is amazing !

Quote Originally Posted by misdee
    I have no intention of buying any more digi-boxes , but ... an A580 body plus 50mm would be my altimate retirment DSLR as that sensor is amazing !
    ..."as that sensor is amazing !"

Until the next one. Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

It was not so long ago that the Nikon D90 / D5000 sensor etc was declared to be incredible !
    How come this is no longer so ? Do those cameras no longer perform ?
    I can't keep up !

The K5 / 5100 / A 580 16 meg sensor will be enough for me , for sure ... retirement precludes more expenditure .... I like the ability to take several shots at various exposures and stitch them together for increased dynamic range , which propably won't appear on future entry level Sony cameras - which will be fixed mirror with EVF , I guess . However if this sensor appears on a the A2..? then I may be tempted ! LOL

Thread Information