Problem with my A700 :(

Printable View

• 05-27-2011, 10:05 AM
    Anbesol
    Problem with my A700 :(
    My rear control wheel has been acting funky, and the matter has been slowly growing worse. When I adjust the shutter with the rear control wheel, very often it will spaz out and go the opposite way I directed it. Yesterday it got to the point that I could NOT set the shutter speed to anything faster than 0.5". Every time I tried to scroll past it, it would reset back to bulb, or 30", or 10" or so on. After some careful persuasion, it became adjustable again.

It started a very long time ago but has been a very minor thing, only a slight nuisance, but its becoming a major nuisance lately and I'm wondering the best course of action. If there is even anything I can do about it. I'm bummed :(

I used to adjust the shutter on the control dial *very* quickly, as in, rapidly scrolling that control wheel to zoom to what shutter speed I needed (if I was pretty far away), but I think now I will be more careful...

*edit - this only happens when trying to increase shutter speed, it does not happen when trying to decrease it.
  • 05-27-2011, 12:45 PM
    OldClicker
    Re: Problem with my A700 :(
    Does it malfunction if that control wheel is set to do something else or just for SS? - Terry
  • 05-27-2011, 12:54 PM
    OldClicker
    Here are a couple of threads to check out. Seems that electronic air-in-a-can or even WD40 has helped some.

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/a700-con...=control+wheel

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/weird-a7...=control+wheel

Terry
  • 05-27-2011, 10:39 PM
    Anbesol
    Thanks for posting that! I'm relieved that my problem is not unusual and that the problem is also pretty easily solved. I think I'll try compressed air before the WD-40.
  • 06-03-2011, 10:08 AM
    NoKnees
    Yep, this seems to be just about the only problem I've heard of with the a700's from enough people to call it a systematic issue for these cameras, yet.... It is still a rare occurrence. Knock on wood, but haven't seen any signs of this on mine yet...

As noted, compressed air have help most people, and some desperate folks have tried wd40 and the likes. Personally I'd avoid that if at all possible, but... Last resort, it seems to be an easy fix for the regular Sony repair shops, so if it's truly driving you nuts and the air doesn't clear it out, there is that.

Best of luck with it!
  • 06-03-2011, 11:15 AM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NoKnees View Post
    Yep, this seems to be just about the only problem I've heard of with the a700's from enough people to call it a systematic issue for these cameras,...

I've also heard of a significant number of A700s with SSS failure. - Terry
  • 06-21-2011, 12:08 PM
    DonSchap
    The rear "thumbwheel" reared its ugly head about two years ago and was a source of havoc for me, as I would thumb through shots and all of the sudden, it would run from one end of the shot listing to the other... or skip through a significant number of them.

In control mode, during a photograph, it would slip through a number of aperture settings (w/ aperture being selected as the rear thumbwheel function in M-mode). It took the repair shop three tries before they figured it out and replaced the thumbwheel.

Now, I'm not quite sure, but I also have noticed some similar trends with my a850. I suppose that it could be dust, but it is darn curious that it is only with the rear thumbwheel. Anyway, a troubling operational issue, to be sure.
  • 06-21-2011, 11:41 PM
    seanpual
    Is the camera is in warranty?
  • 09-17-2011, 01:35 AM
    petecam
    Charlie
    I have been offered a A700 with 3000 activations . Would you if you were in my position buy it as you are very familiar with it . I want a good body no pun intended . Not too complicated as I have a lot to learn again with all the digital settings (.I am in the old codgers club) Or should I actually go for a lower spec camera body to learn the trade again.

Regards Peter
  • 09-17-2011, 08:46 AM
    petecam
    Just an aside about WD40 it does contain some paraffin . I personally would not use it for delicate electronic equipment . I dont know whether you can getit the US electrolube or something similar

Peter
  • 09-17-2011, 10:10 AM
    Anbesol
    Pete - absolutely. The control wheel dial problem can be scary when it rears its VERY ugly head. However, charging at it with a rocket blower has fixed the problem every time. The camera is otherwise very sturdily built.

The funny thing is: when it was doing it only slightly, I just dealt with it. It wasn't until it became a serious problem that I actually took the rocket blower to it. Fixed it completely, but it takes some rigorous rocket blowing. It is just what happens when dust settles into the small crevice in the control wheel.

I haven't had to resort to WD40.
  • 09-19-2011, 12:28 PM
    DennisT
    In response to Pete - my first a700 clocked over 10000 before it was stolen and its replacement is at the 4000 level - I don't use it that often any more as am now using an a900 and Nikon D700 - but I have never had so much as a hint of trouble with either a700 despite having used it in some very robust and dusty conditions in Botswana, Namibia etc.
    My opinion - if the price is reasonable - go for it as its a great piece of gear.
  • 09-19-2011, 05:42 PM
    Anbesol
    Good call.

I see they are going for about $600 used market now.

Id like to see some of those photo's of Botswana and Namibia, do you have a gallery up?

Glad to hear its withstood the conditions well. I wont be getting rid of mine when I upgrade to the A77. I imagine it will offer more than a decades worth of quality picture taking goodness. I can't say the same about my Maxxum 5D which feels clunky, slow and more cumbersome in comparison.
  • 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM
    Greg McCary
    Before I would consider WD40 I would try contact cleaner or even lighter fluid. I have unstuck several shuttters with lighter fluid and a Q-tip. I even fixed a stiff aperture ring on my Summicron.
  • 09-26-2011, 08:27 AM
    petecam
    I did not get the A700 I am afraid it went for I thought too much money . Never mind as said one door shuts another opens. I am sure it would have suited me though .

Regards Peter
  • 10-26-2020, 02:42 PM
    mewniiwks
    Thanks for this topic. I had a similar issue some time ago, but at that time, my friend helped me out. I do not remember now how exactly he did it, but I will save the suggestions given in this thread for future, in case I need them. I am from Spain https://worldcams.tv/spain/lanzarote/airport and i have some other questions. I will leave them here, maybe someone will have time to answer it.