Nex talk

Printable View

• 09-20-2011, 02:31 PM
    Greg McCary
    Nex talk
    A friend of mine has a 5n. He bought it for camping and biking trips. It was between the 5n and ZX-1. I had loaned him my Nex 3 a couple of times and he really liked it. In return he is going to let me babysit his 5n for a couple of weekends and see what it can do. Stay tuned.LOL
    I did find a problem with my Nex I never really considered. I was shooting in extreme low light and was wanting to try a long exposure. You can see what I was after with Four Sticks in critiques. But the Nex couldn't focus in such low light and manual focus on the LCD was out of the question. I tried to focus manually to infinity but missed to much and gave in to the E5s OVF. It was to frustrating for what I needed.
    So there are drawbacks to mirrorless cameras. DSLRs are still king of the hill for me no matter how good the Evil cameras IQ can get. Does size matter? Not really it's how you use it.lol
  • 09-20-2011, 03:00 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: Nex talk
    There are so many good camera options these days, I think it's probably overwhelming for a lot of people who are trying to decide what camera to buy. The XZ-1 is a wonderful camera - my favorite true compact ever, I think. But it's not as powerful as the NEX-5N - not even close.

So what do you think the 5N is going to be able to do for you that the 3 can't, Greg?
  • 09-20-2011, 04:39 PM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    There are so many good camera options these days, I think it's probably overwhelming for a lot of people who are trying to decide what camera to buy. The XZ-1 is a wonderful camera - my favorite true compact ever, I think. But it's not as powerful as the NEX-5N - not even close.

So what do you think the 5N is going to be able to do for you that the 3 can't, Greg?

I hope my 3 can hang with it. So hopefully nothing. It is getting to the point cameras are so good there is going to be longer stretches between upgrades. My 3 has failed to focus a few times and I missed a shot.
    My first SLR lasted me 18 years. If I wanted better quality I bought better film. Now if I want less noise and better IQ I need an upgrade. I want my next upgrade to last me a very long time.
  • 09-20-2011, 06:26 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    My first SLR lasted me 18 years. If I wanted better quality I bought better film. Now if I want less noise and better IQ I need an upgrade. I want my next upgrade to last me a very long time.

Yup. I think digital SLRs have started to mature. That's bad for the camera companies but good for the rest of us. We can get back to figuring out how to take better pictures and stop worrying about what camera we need to do the work for us. I've had my EOS 7D for a couple of years now and while I'd like it to do a few things better, it's really a damn fine camera. Last week I shot a tradeshow with it at ISO 800 and the images look great - not full frame great, but solid. And it's a lot smaller, lighter and less expensive than a full frame camera.

So when are you going to get a NEX-7 and guinea pig it for us? :D
  • 09-21-2011, 08:03 AM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

Yup. I think digital SLRs have started to mature. That's bad for the camera companies but good for the rest of us. We can get back to figuring out how to take better pictures and stop worrying about what camera we need to do the work for us. I've had my EOS 7D for a couple of years now and while I'd like it to do a few things better, it's really a damn fine camera. Last week I shot a tradeshow with it at ISO 800 and the images look great - not full frame great, but solid. And it's a lot smaller, lighter and less expensive than a full frame camera.

So when are you going to get a NEX-7 and guinea pig it for us? :D

Hopefully by the end of the year. I still haven't totally ruled out a 580. The E5 is really all the camera I need as far as a landscape rig. If I could only put a Sony sensor in my M6.lol
    I do understand camera manufactures have to make cameras for the masses and not just for us manual shooters. Or they just wouldn't sell enough to justify making it.
  • 09-23-2011, 06:22 PM
    Greg McCary
    Quote:

One of the drawbacks to the Nex3 is there is no way to remote fire it. The touch screen is slik and much better to navigate with than the dial. The start up time is much faster.
    I am babysitting this weekend.