Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Nex 7 Is that it?

I have read some internet talk the that new Nex 7 may suffer from diffraction sooner the previous cameras. I have just pick up what all the talk is about. I really never knew what diffraction was until I read up on it.
    There is talk that the APS-C sensor may have met it's limit it 24mpix. Photo John touches on the mpix size in his review of the Nex 7, Do you really need to work with files that big? John really done a nice job on the review. John if you get your hands on one I want a killer review your thoughts will make a big difference in my next camera. Mail it to me for a couple of days.LOL I promise I will send it back....
    Sony NEX-7 – 24-Megapixel Mirrorless Camera | Camera News & Reviews

I have thought for some time that Olympus and Panasonic may have finally reached their limit since the resoulution seems to have peaked out at that 12-16mpix range. I have read that the Panasonic cameras have a little more noise issues compared to the Olympus cameras. Could this be caused by diffraction?
    I don't really know a lot about it but here is a good starting point.
    Diffraction Limited Photography: Pixel Size, Aperture and Airy Disks

I really want a Nex 7 and I am sure Sony has some more surprises is store in the future. I am also sure they are not going to put out a bad camera at this point. I really love my Nex 3. I wish I could get my hands on a few full size images. I may change my mind and just get the a77. But right now my heart is set on the Nex 7.
    Any thoughts?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Nex 7 Is that it?

[QUOTE=Greg McCary;480378]I have read some internet talk the that new Nex 7 may suffer from diffraction sooner the previous cameras. I have just pick up what all the talk is about. I really never knew what diffraction was until I read up on it.

I don't really know a lot about it but here is a good starting point.
    Diffraction Limited Photography: Pixel Size, Aperture and Airy Disks

QUOTE]

Why is this diffraction issue being viewed as a Bad Thing? The diffraction is always there - it's a function of the lens (specifically the aperture). Just because the sensor now has enough resolution to see diffraction at a wider aperture, doesn't make it the sensor's fault. Why are we trying to kill the messenger? – Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

The NEX 7 certainly is 'gee-wiz', but I think it's little brother, the 5N, is stealing the show at half the price. - Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

You may be right Terry.....
    Sony NEX Forum
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Yah, I'm not too bent about this diffraction issue... As for the file size to deal with on a daily basis, that will definitely be hassle for more people, but not a deal breaker for me... I'm already used to it with the a900 and have my computer upgraded enough to make it a non-issue, but I know that's not going to be the case for everyone...

Some early tests have compared the 24mp a77 samples to a850 or a900 24mp samples and they compare pretty well at lower ISO. Lens and technique are making more of a difference than the sensors there. Higher ISO's go to the a77... You can imagine the Nex 7 will be even better at high ISO's due to a little more light getting to the sensor... Time will tell...

However, like you noted, maybe the 5n is the better Nex camera at this point... Just wish we could get that sensor in the Nex-7 body with that feature set... I like that you can buy the EVF add-on for the Nex-5n, but... Once you spend the money on that, you are that much closer to the Nex-7... And then the 7 adds the A-mount Flash-hotshoe too, allowing me to share flashes if needed... hmmm...

Glad I don't have to make a decision yet... Exciting times to be looking at cameras...

Quote Originally Posted by NoKnees View Post
    Yah, I'm not too bent about this diffraction issue... As for the file size to deal with on a daily basis, that will definitely be hassle for more people, but not a deal breaker for me... I'm already used to it with the a900 and have my computer upgraded enough to make it a non-issue, but I know that's not going to be the case for everyone...

Some early tests have compared the 24mp a77 samples to a850 or a900 24mp samples and they compare pretty well at lower ISO. Lens and technique are making more of a difference than the sensors there. Higher ISO's go to the a77... You can imagine the Nex 7 will be even better at high ISO's due to a little more light getting to the sensor... Time will tell...

However, like you noted, maybe the 5n is the better Nex camera at this point... Just wish we could get that sensor in the Nex-7 body with that feature set... I like that you can buy the EVF add-on for the Nex-5n, but... Once you spend the money on that, you are that much closer to the Nex-7... And then the 7 adds the A-mount Flash-hotshoe too, allowing me to share flashes if needed... hmmm...

Glad I don't have to make a decision yet... Exciting times to be looking at cameras...
    Interesting post and definitely agree with the exciting time to be ...well...in my case purchasing a camera lol. My wife got me the NEX-5N and I love it. I'm debating on a telephoto lens and hoping to learn from the seasoned veterans on here on which direction. I have $120 in BestBuy awards points so I will definitely go that direction. I was considering the Sony 55-210mm E-mount lens, but decided to hold off until I learn more, BestBuy can get pretty much anything so I'm now considering a Canon version of an equivalent telephoto lens with IS (or whatever Canon calls their img-sta). If I can keep it in the $350 ranger I'd be happy.

Any suggestions? Oh I have the NEX-5NK so it included the 18-55 lens. I have no intention of going to an 18-210mm by Sony let alone Sigma based on the cost for Sony and what I hear (not so great) about Sigma.

On a side note: Almost held off buying the 5N for the 7 but glad I didn't, I could care a less about the hotshoe and don't need 24mp, well that'd be nice but I'm happy with 16.2 true resolution with a CMOS sensor the size of my sons new Nikon D5100 (within 1-2 mm's at least). He was rather impressed with what this cameras features had along with the fact that I can adapt to pretty much any lens on the market. :thumbsup:

I have the 55-210mm. It is optical steady shot. I like it. Its rather long. Twice the length of the 18-55mm. With the great high ISO performance and anti motion blur shooting in low light is easy. I have the NEX7 pre ordered, if it ever gets here. The shot below was with the 55-210mm.

Urban Light by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr

Sony a99/a7R

The sensor is not only the exact same size as your son's sensor in the D5100, it is literally the exact same sensor, manufactured in the same factory, to the same spec. Nikon has always used Sony for nearly their entire camera lines image sensors, and LCD screens too for that matter.

Personally, I would look at older manual focus lens, good fast old primes and such. Then get the proper adapter to shoot it with. Of course, if AF is a must, then you can either do the 55-210, or you can do a Sony/Minolta A mount plus LAEA1/2 adapter, but they'll be much bigger.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    The sensor is not only the exact same size as your son's sensor in the D5100, it is literally the exact same sensor, manufactured in the same factory, to the same spec. Nikon has always used Sony for nearly their entire camera lines image sensors, and LCD screens too for that matter.

Personally, I would look at older manual focus lens, good fast old primes and such. Then get the proper adapter to shoot it with. Of course, if AF is a must, then you can either do the 55-210, or you can do a Sony/Minolta A mount plus LAEA1/2 adapter, but they'll be much bigger.
    Hmm...interesting, according to dpreview specs they are not identical but close, literally 1-2mm size difference: (had to remove link due to 10 post requirement), but everyone should know where/how to use dpreview. Regardless I love the fact they are near-identical.

Funny you mention the older manual focus lens, found a ton on ebay for dirt cheap, may pick up a couple sometime. Right now I've switched my focus to the following lens: Nikon-55-300mm-4-5-5-6G-ED-VR, $250, great price considering BestBuy wants $400 (it's listed price most everywhere). My son has this one and loves it. I would just get the adapter with the AF bus.

Quote Originally Posted by BravoGolfTango View Post
    Hmm...interesting, according to dpreview specs they are not identical but close, literally 1-2mm size difference: (had to remove link due to 10 post requirement), but everyone should know where/how to use dpreview. Regardless I love the fact they are near-identical.

Funny you mention the older manual focus lens, found a ton on ebay for dirt cheap, may pick up a couple sometime. Right now I've switched my focus to the following lens: Nikon-55-300mm-4-5-5-6G-ED-VR, $250, great price considering BestBuy wants $400 (it's listed price most everywhere). My son has this one and loves it. I would just get the adapter with the AF bus.
    You know the Nikon will not AF on the NEX, right? - Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    You know the Nikon will not AF on the NEX, right? - Terry
    Literally, on the phone at this moment, yes, I do understand that and have decided on another avenue yet again, haha. The BUS thru for AF adapters are non-existent at this stage for Nikon and for Canon they make one in the $500+. Grrr...back to the drawing board I go....

Well OldClicker thanks for the intel, it was funny to read your post and be on the phone learning the same info. I got a refund on the Nikon lens and went ahead and picked up the 55-210 Sony lens. I like it, expected a bit more zoom, going to test-drive it a bit and now I'm considering looking for SOMEBODY that makes a true AF adapter for maybe a Sony Alpha lens 70-300mm or something along those lines. I love the outdoors and wildlife so I'd like to reach out there a bit more maybe.

Thread Information