Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

nex 5n - I couldn't resist!

A local store had a sale and I picked up the Nex 5n for about 550 dlls with the 18-55, and a small sony bag

I'm waiting for the battery to charge !

I received the offer via email and couldn't believe it, I usually order all my photo equipment online from stores in the USA, then after taxes and import duties I end up paying 20% to 30% more of the USA price and it was still less than the price of the local stores, who usually have stuff for 50 to 100% more than the usa price

Now I have to get an adapter for my f mount glass

Re: nex 5n - I couldn't resist!

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    A local store had a sale and I picked up the Nex 5n for about 550 dlls with the 18-55, and a small sony bag

I'm waiting for the battery to charge !

I received the offer via email and couldn't believe it, I usually order all my photo equipment online from stores in the USA, then after taxes and import duties I end up paying 20% to 30% more of the USA price and it was still less than the price of the local stores, who usually have stuff for 50 to 100% more than the usa price

Now I have to get an adapter for my f mount glass
    Congrats. I also have a 5n. Wait till you see the IQ. It is an awsome little camera.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Congratulations! That is really exciting news! I'm looking forward to seeing the photos - don't forget to post some along with your thoughts. :thumbsup:

We can all relate to the excitement of opening the box which contains a new camera!

Liz

Congratulations! Make sure to post a review in the user reviews once you've gotten to know your new camera. I've actually got one in the box and haven't had a chance to open it yet. I need to start using it and do a review ASAP! I'm really looking forward to using the NEX-5N and then when they're available, the NEX-7!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Certainly I'll post a review
    I'm traveling for a couple of days and brought it along

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    Certainly I'll post a review
    I'm traveling for a couple of days and brought it along
    Perfect travel camera, huh? Now you just need to replace the kit lens with the 18-200 OSS and you'll be all set for future trips!
    Photo-John

Congrats. I just got one too. Can't wait to play with it.

You're going to love the NEX-5N, wife got me one for early Christmas, hopefully I can get the 55-210mm lens. I'm waiting on another 30 points from BestBuy which added to the rest will give me $100 total, which will relieve their $350 price.

Question? If I'm using Sony's 55-210mm proprietary lens, do I need the Sony adapter? Seems the guy @BestBuy told me I did, but that doesn't really make sense. What I really like about this camera is the multitude of various brand adapters to use other than Sony lens. Albeit, Sony's lenses are as good as the rest within equivalent specs.

No Adapter Needed

Quote Originally Posted by BravoGoflTango View Post
    Question? If I'm using Sony's 55-210mm proprietary lens, do I need the Sony adapter? Seems the guy @BestBuy told me I did, but that doesn't really make sense. What I really like about this camera is the multitude of various brand adapters to use other than Sony lens. Albeit, Sony's lenses are as good as the rest within equivalent specs.
    If it's the E-mount 55-210mm lens, you don't need an adaptor to use it with the NEX cameras. I just had that lens along with the NEX-5N for review and I have to say - I *don't* think it's necessarily as good as the competition. It's a decent lens for the price but the optics are not so great. I haven't used it yet, but I'm really interested in the Sony 18-200mm zoom. I've used both the Nikon and Canon DSLR versions and they're both great. I love the idea of just one 18-200mm lens for the Sony NEX and based on the price of that lens, I'm betting it's a better way to go.
    Photo-John

Re: No Adapter Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    If it's the E-mount 55-210mm lens, you don't need an adaptor to use it with the NEX cameras. I just had that lens along with the NEX-5N for review and I have to say - I *don't* think it's necessarily as good as the competition. It's a decent lens for the price but the optics are not so great. I haven't used it yet, but I'm really interested in the Sony 18-200mm zoom. I've used both the Nikon and Canon DSLR versions and they're both great. I love the idea of just one 18-200mm lens for the Sony NEX and based on the price of that lens, I'm betting it's a better way to go.
    Ok well that makes sense then that you shouldn't need the adapter. Interesting you didn't think that lens was too great, the 18-210 @$800ish (actual price to be announced soon I hear) is out of my budget range so could you recommend a better lens/brand with image stabilization in a similar zoom range?

I never base a decision on just one opinion from one forum so I'll do more research on the general feedback of the Sony 55-210 lens. Aside from that I know Canon makes some really good quality lenses in their A-series (if I remember correctly) but they're pricey as well.

Appreciate any further feedback and very interested in what you recommend in something similar to the 55-210 E lens with IS that's better than Sony's.

This is a good one.

Thread Information