Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

New Sony DSC-F717 owner signing in.

Hi Guys and Guyesses,
    I have been trying to find one of these cameras for a long time.but was always wary of spending so much money on one. Then, my wife said, "Life's to short, just get it" so I did.
    I know that Sony had an issue with this camera which meant the camera had to go back to get the CCD changed. I have good news and bad news about this.
    The bad news is that I don't know if this camera has been back to Sony.
    The good news is that from talking to the seller, he got this camera in 2006 and has used it as his main camera ever since and the camera shows no sign of having a problem. This leads me to think that either the change was done before my seller got it or that this particular camera doesn't have the problem.
    One thing that would be useful to know, and which I have not been able to find out yet, is if there is a set of DSC-F717 serial numbers that Sony accepted as needing repair. It could be that my camera was made after the fault was identified and cured. (He said, hopefully)

Anyway, that isn't the main reason that I wanted to post here.
    I wanted to ask any other DSC-F717 users, if there are any out there, about using memory cards. I currently have a DSC-M2 which is happy using an 8gb Memory Stick Pro Duo card. From what I have been able to find on the web, these DSC-F717s had the ability to use Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro cards but what I can't find is any definate upper end size of memory card that can be used.
    The seller is sending a couple of 128mb cards for me to have a go with but I'll need to buy some bigger memory cards before doing any serious camera stuff.

If anybody is interested, and wants to pass comment on the price paid, the ebay item number for the camera that I won is 180520780729

Thanks for any info.
    Steve

Re: New Sony DSC-F717 owner signing in.

While I'm here, I've been trying to get some info on these Sony Memory Stick Duo Adaptors. The official blurb on Amazon says, "Sony MSAC-M2NO is designed for those needing a spare adaptor to use Memory Stick Duo in normal Memory Stick slots. This Memory Stick Duo Adaptor is compatible with all Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo."

Am I reading it wrong or does this mean that I could slot a Sony MS Pro Duo into one of these adaptors and use it with a DSC - F717? I'm guessing that the memory card door would need to stay open but is that OK?

Cheers,
    Steve

If there is a memory cap on that camera, it would be 2GB, which is a pretty large size for a 5 megapixel camera. It may well work with the 4 or 8gb options, but I'd try it out first.

I am unaware of what CCD issue they had. Wish I could be more help.

Hi again,
    The CCD thing seems to have happened round about 2003/2005. Details are sketchy but if you do a search with Google or something similar for "Sony DSC-F717 class action" or "Sony DSC-F717 CCD recall" (without the "") there are hundreds, if not thousands, of hits.
    The odd thing is that all links to information about the problem based on Sony Customer Support websites has been removed. All you get is a message saying that the information is no longer available.

The extra special good news is that I won the auction which ended at Ended: 21 Jun, 201002:19:20 BST. At 07:12, the Royal Mail van pulled up outside my door and got me to sign for it. By my reconing, that's just less than 12 hours from the hammer coming down to the item being in my hands.
    Top marks to the seller and to Royal Mail.

Did I mention that I lived in England?
    Anyway, Thanks for reading.
    Steve

DOH!!!

Ebay's date/time thing threw me off track. The auction actually finished on the 21 Jun, 2010 at 02:19:20 so just under 30 hours from hammer to holding.

Cheers,
    Steve

Thread Information