New Pocket Camera

Printable View

• 06-02-2014, 08:23 AM
    DennisT
    New Pocket Camera
    Am really keen on a new lightweight pocket rocket but one requirement is that it has the ability to render RAW files.
    Cant find anything from Sony locally that fits the bill. Do Sony actually make such an animal anyone?
  • 06-17-2014, 10:46 PM
    NoKnees
    Re: New Pocket Camera
    I consider the RX100 series to be pocket-able, and definitely, especially with their latest generation, it's a rocket. There are now three versions of the RX100, ranging from about $450 to I think $750 for the latest RX100 III. Shoots RAW, good full HD video, and a best in class sensor. Larger than a normal point and shoot, but slightly smaller than a micro 4/3 mirrorless,

Anyway, it's definitely worth checking out. It's my go-to camera when I don't want to carry around a DSLR (or now, my a7r)....
  • 07-23-2014, 10:33 AM
    Franglais
    I tried out the RX100 Mk3 yesterday, especially the electronic viewfinder. WOW. It reminded me of my Leica. At last a pocketable camera where you can actually see what you are taking, no more squinting at an LCD screen which is unusable in bright sunlight.

The price is still excessive at the moment. I'm just waiting for it to drop a little.
  • 07-31-2014, 09:56 AM
    margaret
    Nice camera, always worth checking out
  • 09-13-2014, 07:55 AM
    pipi99
  • 10-23-2014, 05:40 AM
    fotomatix
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    I tried out the RX100 Mk3 yesterday, especially the electronic viewfinder. WOW. It reminded me of my Leica. At last a pocketable camera where you can actually see what you are taking, no more squinting at an LCD screen which is unusable in bright sunlight.

The price is still excessive at the moment. I'm just waiting for it to drop a little.

Here we are 3 months later and no price drop for the M3. I think this may only come in Q1 of 2014. Or more specifically when Sony plans a follow up. Maybe not an M4 but perhaps an rx200 or whatever. No rumors yet on this. Sony will probably need to react since Panasonic has released it's LX100 with a huge sensor and maintaining pocketability.