Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Tamron 200-500m F5-6.3

Well summer is almost here and a super tele zoom would be perfect. I think I will go with the Tamron 200-500 F5-6.3. Im planning on using it on a tripod/monopod most of the time. I really want to get into wildlife photography and especially bird photography.

I saw lots of samples, and the images are consistently very sharp from photo to photo. The colors are good as well. I was comparing it to the very fast tele zoom Tamron has in there line up, the 70-200 f2.8. The Tamron 70-200 F2.8 is a nice fast lens but doesn’t have the range I need, and I don’t want to fool around with a teleconverter, even though it will allow me to have a wider constant aperture opening.

Anyone here have experiences with it or some advice?

Thanks
    -
    Please do not take my photo's. Thank you
    www.SammySoliman.Smugmug.com

Re: Tamron 200-500m F5-6.3

I've been eyeballing that one for a while, with all I've seen I'm confident its a good one and pretty sure it will be my next lens. That said, your sig says you are currently in posession of a 30 f/1.4 and an 18-70. In which case, I would say that 200-500 would leave a huge gap in between the two, and most wildlife (sans birds) will be well done with a 70-210, If I were you I would go for a standard 70-210 zoom first, then the Tamron 200-500. Of course, if birding is the primary purpose, that may be another story.

I agree it would leave a large gap. The 70-210 f4 is a great lens and is hand holdble. The beercan is perfect for a walk around lens, but I am pretty sure I need that extra reach. I love wildlife photos but always favored looking at birds more than any other animal. 200-500mm is bit overkill if I wanted to photograph things like turtles and snakes, and the results might not be so good, but the beercan samples on the net shines in this area. Hopefully I can get both lol. If not, the 200-500 would be my choice combined with my induro tripod for those tiny hard to get birds.

I never used a large telephoto lens before, this would be my first. I understand that there is a ring collar on the lens, for attaching it to the tripod so that the mount on the slr doesn’t bend from all that weight. But if I were to take my camera strap and sling it around my body so that the lens is pointed towards the ground, will the cameras mount bend?

Thanks
    -

Check out this lens http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...BCL=&GBC=&GCC=
    Its amazing how cheap it is, but too bad its not a zoom, has dull colors, and has terrible bokeh. I think the bokeh is the worst part, but it looks real nice if the background and the main subject are far away from each other. But that price is tempting. I think im getting lens fever but still going with the tamron.
    Last edited by LightBright; 05-25-2009 at 01:22 PM.
    -

I never used a large telephoto lens before, this would be my first. I understand that there is a ring collar on the lens, for attaching it to the tripod so that the mount on the slr doesn’t bend from all that weight. But if I were to take my camera strap and sling it around my body so that the lens is pointed towards the ground, will the cameras mount bend?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I use a 500 MM lens often for birding. I have never had any problem carrying the camera by the strap with the lens hanging vertically down. Of course, when actually shooting, my left hand supports the weight of the lens, (Or the tripod) while my right hand operates the camera. When handholding the camera, I try to use at least 1/750 shutterspead, but have good shots at 1/500 and lower. Bracing against a tree etc. helps a lot.

Kind of a lucky shot, it is a manual focus lens

Handheld, F11 at 1/500, ISO 200, Fuji Color film

Good luck with your shooting.

Phil

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I always use the lens strap on my 300mm and not the body.
    If I know I'm using the 300mm exclusively I unclip the body straps so they don't get in my way. If I keep the lens strap a little short then I can walk with the lens/body/monopod on my shoulder as long as the 'pod is fully collapsed.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Great shot Phil, amazing how you pulled that one off with no auto focus and being thats it was hand held.

"I always use the lens strap on my 300mm and not the body.
    If I know I'm using the 300mm exclusively I unclip the body straps so they don't get in my way. If I keep the lens strap a little short then I can walk with the lens/body/monopod on my shoulder as long as the 'pod is fully collapsed."

Thanks Paul, will try this once I get it. I dont want to risk bending my camerabody.
    -

Thread Information