• 03-25-2014, 04:31 PM
    TheKinkajou
    Need guidance on cleaning up my mess.
    I'm going to try to keep this short. I now have..

Camera's:
    a700
    nex-3

e-mount:
    18-55 f/3.5-5.6
    16 f/2.8
    LE-EA1 a to e adapter

a-mount APS-C:
    zeiss 16-80 f/3.5-4.5
    11-18 f/4.5-5.6

a-mount full frame:
    50mm f/1.4
    28-75 f/2.8
    70-200 f/4
    70-300 SSM G f/4.5-5.6

This is just too much. With both camera's feeling kinda tired these days I think I have an oppurtunity to simplify. Ideally one mount and one sensor size. So I'd probably sell everything from one of the mounts in order to fund the other.

I dream of full frame, but I just don't see it happening on my budget. So I guess that makes the full frame/APS-C decision for me.

So now it's between a or e mount. I'm really intrigued by the a6000. Could this really be the camera for me? Phase detect af, viewfinder, appears to have all/most of the buttons/dials I want.. I just don't see the glass for it though. The 28-75 f/2.8 lives on my a700 and while there's f/4 options for e-mount, that's just not sufficient for APS-C. Am I being too ridiculous/snobberish about this?

I really like the small lightweight e-mount cameras, but the lenses I want just aren't there. So then sell off my e-mount stuff and compromise by getting a less hefty a-mount body? a65?

I could march on with my aging camera bodies and wait for some more e-mount options I suppose..

I wish I could continue with both mounts but juggling both is just too much of a headache and too hard on the wallet.

I just don't know what to do..
  • 03-26-2014, 10:36 AM
    TheKinkajou
    Re: Need guidance on cleaning up my mess.
    Yep..

So keh will give me $140 for my NEX-3 and kit lens. If I sell the beercan and another lens (I have a tamron 24-135, but I can't seem to find it) maybe I can get the a6000 for not a whole lot. I can then finance either the zeiss 16-70 f/4 or 10-18 f/4 for it. Then just keep on with my a700 until I can afford to replace it or some better e-mount options become available..
  • 03-27-2014, 07:16 AM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKinkajou View Post
    I'm going to try to keep this short. I now have..

Camera's:
    a700
    nex-3

e-mount:
    18-55 f/3.5-5.6
    16 f/2.8
    LE-EA1 a to e adapter

a-mount APS-C:
    zeiss 16-80 f/3.5-4.5
    11-18 f/4.5-5.6

a-mount full frame:
    50mm f/1.4
    28-75 f/2.8
    70-200 f/4
    70-300 SSM G f/4.5-5.6

This is just too much. With both camera's feeling kinda tired these days I think I have an oppurtunity to simplify. Ideally one mount and one sensor size. So I'd probably sell everything from one of the mounts in order to fund the other.

I dream of full frame, but I just don't see it happening on my budget. So I guess that makes the full frame/APS-C decision for me.

So now it's between a or e mount. I'm really intrigued by the a6000. Could this really be the camera for me? Phase detect af, viewfinder, appears to have all/most of the buttons/dials I want.. I just don't see the glass for it though. The 28-75 f/2.8 lives on my a700 and while there's f/4 options for e-mount, that's just not sufficient for APS-C. Am I being too ridiculous/snobberish about this?

I really like the small lightweight e-mount cameras, but the lenses I want just aren't there. So then sell off my e-mount stuff and compromise by getting a less hefty a-mount body? a65?

I could march on with my aging camera bodies and wait for some more e-mount options I suppose..

I wish I could continue with both mounts but juggling both is just too much of a headache and too hard on the wallet.

I just don't know what to do..

I currently have a bunch of nice A-mount lenses as well as an A77 and A900.

I see my future with Sony as:
    - Really small fixed lens (i.e. RX100 II),
    - Small e-mount body (maybe A6000 or possibly an A7 replacement with the A6000 AF system),
    - DSLR sized e-mount body (Waiting for the A6000 AF system in an A77-series or possibly A99-series FF - IBIS required) and
    - LA-EA4 A to E-mount adapter.

With this line up I can take advantage of both Sony mounts with minimal (if any) compromises (as well as most every other lens made (with adapters) - many with AF, though admittedly poor AF). Since I currently have none of the above, I'm looking to find a way to get the RX100 II and then waiting for the right ILC bodies to come along (though the A6000 looks good, I have to factor in the price of the LEA-4).

From where you are, I would pick up an A6000 plus and adapter. I'm not sure yet what the AF capabilities of the A6000 is with adapted A-mount lenses, but you may be fine with the LA-EA1 adapter or have to find an LA-EA2.

Also, though KEH will give you a fair price they have to offer a price that allows them to resell it at a profit. They would be way more convenient, but you will probably get more for your gear by selling it yourself.

My 2 cents.
    Terry
  • 03-27-2014, 09:56 AM
    TheKinkajou
    Thanks. That's a good suggestion. The LA-EA1 works okay with SSM lenses but lack of AF otherwise is inconvenient for me. KEH has a couple LA-EA2's for just over $200.

The other thing I was thinking was possibly getting the 35 f/1.8 (or Sigma's cheaper 30 f/2.8). Between that and my 16 f/2.8 I could get by until faster zooms become available.. Hmm. So many ways I could go with this.