Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Strange camera repair issues...

A few weeks back, my 3 year old son had succesfully retrieved my Maxxum 5 SLR. Silly me showing him it, he knew how to take the front cover off, and the film door, thus, he also figured out how to stick his finger right through the curtain. He had pushed 3 of the 4 shutter curtains out of place and removed the back film plate.

Took it to the shop, the guy said 'shouldn't be a problem, probably about $35'. Today I went in, and he returned a camera that he claimed was entirely broken, in the invoice (which cost $0), it said

"Camera does not function, displays low battery symbol w/good batteries, film door is broken so pressure plate falls out, camera needs major repairs."

When I took it in, the only problem was the shutter curtain, the back plate was removed and not replaced because it would apply pressure to the twisted curtains and no doubt crease them. The repairman mistook a piece of the film door as something else, and thus didn't properly apply the film plate. He did however succesfully tuck the shutter curtains back in place, the bottom one had a slight bend to it. I replaced the film plate my self, got a visual of the shutter curtain on 1", 0.5", 1/8th", 1/100th", and 1/1000th", everything seemed to work properly. I had to reset the date when I set it up, but the battery gauge has been working perfectly since I got it back. All in all, everything seems in good working order....

???????

So I left the store pretty bummed. I thought I would probably mark that as my time in history when I stopped shooting with film altogether, and go entirely digital. Now things are looking good - I may be able to have my cake and eat it too. So now here is the fun part, burn a roll of film, process, cross fingers. Maybe theres an issue with the shutter curtain that happens in mere milliseconds...

Wish me and my Maxxum 5 luck!

Re: Strange camera repair issues...

So, how long until we here if there is a happy ending to this story? When do you get the film back?

Would be great to find out your $0 repair job out okay, other than your own time and sweet of course...

Re: Strange camera repair issues...

Taking the film to get it developed today, super busy though with out-of-town jobs so probably won't get it back for many days....

Thread Information