Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: Minolta glass

Minolta glass

So I been looking around at Minolta glass, prices are all over the place. Right now on the a850 I have the Sony 28-75mm, not the fastest but it's sharp and gets the job done. This leaves my wanting wide. The 17-35mm is on the short list and I am selling unused gear to pick one up. That leaves me needing a nice zoom. Maybe in the 70-300mm range.
    Any ideas on some bargain glass that can get it done? I have the Tamron 18-270mm for the a77, it's ok but it can get some CA in the shots.
    What's a good zoom for the a850 and don't think Greg's going to the Super Bowl. Maybe a local basketball game.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Minolta glass

Here is a cut & paste of an old post with some ideas. - Terry:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Here are some possible lenses stressing value (all used 'legacy' Minolta):

Minolta 50mm f/1.7 $100
    Minolta 35-70 f/4 $50
    Minolta 70-210 f/4 'beercan' $175

$325 total that would surpass my talents for years.

I went with the Minolta 50mm f/1.4 for $218 instead of the f/1.7 and picked up the 28-75mm f/2.8 for $328 for better low light (indoors) and a little wider with the zoom. I also found that I really liked macro and splurged for a beautiful Minolta 100mm 2.8 Macro for $346 – a steal. I find I seldom use anything other than the beercan for the back yard and the macro for close-ups.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of the old Auto-Focus (AF) Minolta lenses - also known as the a-mount or, now, the alpha-mount - will work on your A200. Older Manual-Focus Minolta lenses with the SR-mount (mostly labeled MD or MC) will not fit on the camera. Here is a data base of the AF lenses.

Minolta/Konica Minolta/Sony Alpha lens data

And this one has most everything for the Minolta Maxxum/Sony a-mount systems.

A-mount lens database (lenses for Minolta and Sony DSLR cameras)

The kit lens is certainly capable of taking great photos, but it is not the best - even among the lower grade lenses. If you work with it, learn its limitations and how to get around them, you will have learned a lot about photography. Most alpha owners pick up a Minolta 50mm f/1.7 early on because they can be cheap and provide a good low-light start. Some used lens places:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic - Adorama Camera Store

Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic - Adorama Camera Store

http://www.photographyreview.com/Com...2847/KBID/3790

And, of course Ebay (but be careful).

Here are a few Guides - take them for what they’re worth.

eBay Reviews & Guides

eBay Reviews & Guides

eBay Reviews & Guides

eBay Reviews & Guides

eBay Reviews & Guides

eBay Reviews & Guides
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thanks Terry the 50mm 1.7 was part of the trade but the apeture is stuck wide open and oil on the blades. I also got a 28mm 2.8 that works fine. The 50mm is on the short list. Have you used eithier the Sigma or Sony 17-35mm. I aim to pick one of those up so I can go wide on the a850 without reducing mpix with the 8-16mm.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I think the best telephoto bet for bargain price would be the 70-210 f/4. The Tokina 80-200 f/2.8 is also usually found well priced (right now ebay has it for like $650, not worth that, I've seen it on there ~$400-$500).
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Nod

A friend of mine has the Tamron SP 70-300 F4.5/5.6 Di LD USD and it is a super lens. I believe B&H and Adorama both have it for around $450 new. It has a 4.74 rating @ Dyxum. Worth a look.

ELS

Hello Terry:

WOW! that sure is one huge list of lenses....!

I'm new here as a poster and member and I am very impressed so far, with everyone and everything..

I hope this site picks up a lot of new - vibrant activity from current and new members, in the near future...

Greg McCary introduced me to this site, and that is a nice thing... :thumbsup:

I am enjoying my stay here and hope to be a valued member to contributions and other things here too..

I recently acquired a Sony NEX-5N camera system...

I "love it" .....

Thanks for sharing a wealth of information here...

Have a nice day,

Ed

Yes I am looking at the beer can. I have a lot of bookmarks now.lol

Sony a99/a7R

Yes, that is quite a good list... As with a lot of used lens purchases, you may need to try a couple copies of a given lens before you find a good one. There are a lot of the beercans out there, most are very good, but not all. The nice thing with that lens is that it will play nice with a 1.4x TC and still AF well.

My favorite walk around lens on the a900 is the Minolta 28-135mm. Some refer to it as the "Secret Handshake" lens I think... Anyway, it's a heavy metal and glass object that is quite nice. $300-$350 for good copies... Sometimes as cheap as $250 on ebay.

I used the 'ol Minolta 17-35mm a bit and it was a good range on full frame, but a Sigma 12-24mm dropped into my lap so I swapped it out... The Minolta didn't need to be stopped down as far to be sharp, but it didn't go as wide...

Everything else has been mentioned already...

ELS

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Yes I am looking at the beer can. I have a lot of bookmarks now.lol
    Hi Greg,

Yeah, I have not (yet) had any personal experience using the "Beer Can", (I used to drink out of glass bottles, don't drink anymore) -but - seriously back to the lens discussion, I watched a video recently that had very high claims that the Minolta 70-210 f/4 (called it the "Beer Can") - saying it was a great, sharp lens.

Hope you find one soon....

Thanks for reading,

Have a nice evening...

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by ELS View Post
    Hi Greg,

Yeah, I have not (yet) had any personal experience using the "Beer Can", (I used to drink out of glass bottles, don't drink anymore) -but - seriously back to the lens discussion, I watched a video recently that had very high claims that the Minolta 70-210 f/4 (called it the "Beer Can") - saying it was a great, sharp lens.

Hope you find one soon....

Thanks for reading,

Have a nice evening...

Ed
    Just a note - remember that the 'beercan' is up to 25 years old. It is a wonderful lens (especially its bokeh), but it does not have all the modern coatings of a newer lens. A high contrast image will almost certainly result in purple fringing. Used within its limitations, you can't beat it for $200-250. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

The 'beercan' is long and heavy, but I still use it often when walking around in a wooded area. Here is a link to the "Beercan Thread" from 2008. Maybe we should resurrect it . The Beercan (70-210 f/4) thread..

I have had several Minolta Maxxum 300mm zooms, I preferred the 100-300 over the 70-300. I still have a 100-300 xi and a 100-300 APO. The others were sold or traded. I am not sure why I still have the xi lens. I'll likely trade it off for something someday.

I do enjoy using the old Minolta glass.

Phil

Thread Information