Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Minolta Flash Meter III diffuser switch

Hi Guys,
    I've searched the web for a clear cut answer to this question but to no avail. I've just acquired a Minolta Flash Meter III but when it arrived it did not have a spherical diffuser over the sensor. I bought a spherical diffuse off ebay and fitted it to the Flash Meter and noticed that the little metal switch which is on the mounting face of the flash meter where the diffuser goes does not get presses. Pressing the switch seems to adjust the light reading by three stops.
    Have I bought the wrong diffuse for the Flash Meter III, or should the switch NOT be presses for the dome, i.e. it's used for something else.

Many thanks
    Philip

Re: Minolta Flash Meter III diffuser switch

I couldn't answer your question, but the manual is available from http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes...eter_iii-1.pdf. I hope this helps you.

Phil

Thanks for the link, as it happens I have the original manual for the flash meter (yes, it came with the manual but without the dome, great huh!) but it makes no reference to the switch. I was hoping that someone else out there has a Flash Meter III and could visually check the operation of the switch. The other idea I had was to take it to a camera shop and see if they would let me compare meter readings with another flash meter so as I could see if the meter readings were the same, but figured I'd ask you guys first.

Cheers,
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by butlerps View Post
    Thanks for the link, as it happens I have the original manual for the flash meter (yes, it came with the manual but without the dome, great huh!) but it makes no reference to the switch. I was hoping that someone else out there has a Flash Meter III and could visually check the operation of the switch. The other idea I had was to take it to a camera shop and see if they would let me compare meter readings with another flash meter so as I could see if the meter readings were the same, but figured I'd ask you guys first.

Cheers,
    Philip
    Search for past sales or watch for new sales on eBay and send them an email. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Just an update: I took the flash meter to a photography shop, the assistant was familiar with the model and confirmed that the domed diffuser is not meant to activate the switch. The switch is for the spot meter attachment only. While there I checked the light meter readings of the meter against a light meter they had behind the counter, and light meter readings with the dome attached were correct.

Thread Information