Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: Lens Options

Lens Options

Well it looks more like I am going to get a Sony SLT. I am going to pre order the a77. Now I am looking at lens options. Olympus lenses are rated standard, high grade and super high grade.
    So how does Sony rate theirs? Are any weather sealed? Sorry for the DA question.lol I don't want to break the bank but I do want something nice, sharp and reliable that covers about the same range as my 12-60mm Zuiko, remember it's a x2 crop factor. Anyway I am looking at this. It covers a lot of ground. Please think landscape.....
    SAL18250 Sony 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DT ED a (alpha) Mount Digital SLR High Magnification Zoom Lens with Hood.
    What's your thoughts? I don't mind it being a monster lens since this rig will be my landscape kit and not an everyday carry all. I will use the Nex for that. If you think this lens is the wrong one for the purpose I want it for let me know.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Lens Options

Sony (or the used Minolta) calls their own top glass 'G' (like Canon 'L') and also has the Sony/Zeiss line. Only the newly announced DT 16-50mm 2.8 is weather sealed (DT= APS-C). Top glass in the 16-80 range would be:

- DT 16-80 f/4.5-5.5 Zeiss
    - 24-70 f/2.8 Zeiss
    - New DT 16-50 f/2.8

I really don't know anything about the super-zooms like the 18-250.

The two top A-mount databases are at:

A-mount lens database (lenses for Minolta and Sony DSLR cameras)

and

Minolta/Konica Minolta/Sony Alpha lens data

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

The 16-80 is a f/3.5-4.5, not a 4.5-5.5

There is also a 24-105 f/3.5-4.5. and a 16-105 f/3.5-5.6. But, I think you're probably better off with the zeiss 16-80 or the new 16-50.

Awesome that you're getting an A77, I will most likely be getting one as well, but I think I may delay gratification until 2012.

Not all Sony/Minolta high grade options are labeled "g".
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

This looks to be the best deal. To me anyway.
    SLT-A77VQ Sony a77 DSLR Camera Kit with Sony 16-50mm f/2.8 DT Zoom Lens
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

yeah, the 16-50 kit is probably your best bet. I just wasn't sure why you wanted a superzoom.
    - Charlie

Just received the Tamron 18-200 lens f3.5
    I wasn't expecting too much for the price paid all I wanted was a reasonable walkabout lens. As an interim until I can sort out the Sigma 75-200 if at all possible .It is far better than expected . First it is the weight very light & the pictures are pretty pleasing as well . Also it actually worked out of the tin .My cousin grudgingly thought it was pretty good too. Still cant believe why I bought a Sony though . Getting lectures on why I should buy a N***N . He still does not understand why I want to use my old lenses .
    We all know the heart of the camera is the glass used . Also we all
    have your favourite glass on your wish list & it is always beyond your deep pockets .

Peter

Just added another Minolta 50mm f1.7 lens mint. Had to buy a 7000 it was attached to though at least I had a bag thrown in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by petecam View Post
    Just received the Tamron 18-200 lens f3.5
    I wasn't expecting too much for the price paid all I wanted was a reasonable walkabout lens. As an interim until I can sort out the Sigma 75-200 if at all possible .It is far better than expected . First it is the weight very light & the pictures are pretty pleasing as well . Also it actually worked out of the tin .My cousin grudgingly thought it was pretty good too. Still cant believe why I bought a Sony though . Getting lectures on why I should buy a N***N . He still does not understand why I want to use my old lenses .
    We all know the heart of the camera is the glass used . Also we all
    have your favourite glass on your wish list & it is always beyond your deep pockets .

Peter
    Tell your cuz it's cause Sony makes sensors for Nikon and you are just going straight to the source and cutting out the middle man.

Sony a99/a7R

ELS

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Well it looks more like I am going to get a Sony SLT. I am going to pre order the a77. Now I am looking at lens options. Olympus lenses are rated standard, high grade and super high grade.
    So how does Sony rate theirs? Are any weather sealed? Sorry for the DA question.lol I don't want to break the bank but I do want something nice, sharp and reliable that covers about the same range as my 12-60mm Zuiko, remember it's a x2 crop factor. Anyway I am looking at this. It covers a lot of ground. Please think landscape.....
    SAL18250 Sony 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DT ED a (alpha) Mount Digital SLR High Magnification Zoom Lens with Hood.
    What's your thoughts? I don't mind it being a monster lens since this rig will be my landscape kit and not an everyday carry all. I will use the Nex for that. If you think this lens is the wrong one for the purpose I want it for let me know.
    Hello Greg,

I know this is an "older dated thread", but it contains information pertinent to me..

Did you ever pick up that Sony 18-250 lens (Sony A mount) and if so - what were your thoughts on it..?

Thanks,

Have a nice afternoon...

Ed

There is more than just the Sony 18-250, Tamron and Sigma also offer 18-250's of their own.

Superzooms come with optical compromise, both in quality and speed. So, the standards to measure a superzooom are relatively lower than would be a fixed lens or shorter zooms. As far as that range of superzooms go, the Sony, Tamron, and Sigma all fair well, I think your best bet would probably be whichever of the three you find with the best price. But, if I had to stick with one brand, I'd stick with the Sony.

It may also be worth considering, depending on your needs, other range zooms or even fixed lens. But, as far as 18-250's go that Sony is a decent piece.
    - Charlie

Thread Information