Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

70-200 f2.8 lens for Alpha100

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good 70-200 f2.8 lens for an Sony alpha 100? I am concerned about not knowing what I need to know in order to purchase a lens that works with my camera. I am a novice at this so am tempted to go to a camera shop, but doubt that I will get a good price.

Re: 70-200 f2.8 lens for Alpha100

First off let me say that I am not an owner of the A100 camera. However I don't think you would go wrong by getting the Sony 70 - 200 F/2.8 lens. With Nikon, they imbed things in their lens that is not published until that particular function is included in the camera. Third party lens are usually of somewhat lesser quality, although not always.

Most of the time you get what you pay for in lenses. Cameras go and come, but lenses are a lifetime investment if you aquire the best available. I will go out on a limb here, but if you want a bargain, then shop around. If you want to take the best images possible with your camera, then stick with Sony / Carl Zeiss.

I noticed the other day that Sony style had the 70 - 200 F/2.8 lens cheaper than B&H by a couple hundred dollars.

As an added note of interest, Sony lenses will hold their value much better should you ever decide to sell one.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: 70-200 f2.8 lens for Alpha100

I too would go with the Sony. The Minolta 70-200 f/2.8 SSM will be the same lens as well. You may be able to find the Minolta for a little less money.

Happy shooting!

Thread Information