Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Lens help for Minolta 70

I just joined this site, and I would classify myself as a beginer in photography. I have a Minolta Maxxum 70 which came with the lens kit (28-100mm). I am really into wedding and portrait photography and don't really know which lens I should use. Also, I love to photograph houses and landscapes but again...no clue what lens I should use. Any advice I can get would help me that way I may better my photos. Also, I'm looking to get a "starter" digital camera. Not sure which camera would be the best to start out on. Have heard a lot about the Sony Alpha cameras.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Lens help for Minolta 70

Hi there!

Welcome to the forums! Your current lens should be sufficient to satisfy all of your needs. 28mm wide end is good enough for landscapes and the telephoto end is handy for portraits.

If you were to get a little more serious about wedding and portraiture, most people opt for fast fixed aperture lenses. The Konica-Minolta 28-75 f/2.8, Sony/Minolta 70-210 f/2.8 SSM, Minolta 70-210 f/4, Sony 24-70 f/2.8 SSM, Sony/Minolta 85 f/1.4, and Sony/Minolta 135 f/1.8 all come to mind.

If you want something wider for landscape/interiors the Minolta 17-35 comes to mind.

Anywho.. I would stick with your current lens for the time being until you feel more serious about something and feel the need for a more specialized lens. However, the KM 28-75 f/2.8 is a very excellent lens, affordable, and versatile enough to replace that 28-100 if you so choose..

If you're looking to get a digital SLR, any of the current entry level models are great camera's to start with. Since you currently only own one lens, you can go with any brand out there. The best thing is to go to a camera store and handle as many as you can. You will notice that one model will feel and work better for you than others. Don't let any salespeople talk you into one over another.

On the other hand, if you do end up picking up more lenses in the a-mount (the Minolta and Sony mount), you may want a camera that can still use those lenses on. Then that will limit you to the Sony alpha range. For you, the a200, a300, and a350 would probably all be good choices to start with.

Thread Information