• 08-30-2011, 10:33 AM
    NoKnees
    Re: Leaked images of the A77...
    The diffraction thing is just something to point out when people are looking for the ultra sharp sweet spot, vs mastering the depth of field, and the gray areas between... Mostly for the pixel peepers that try to compare an upsized 12mp full frame image to a 24mp crop sensor to a 24mp full frame with three different lenses, subjects, and lighting conditions... ;)

Basically, hey, this is a new camera. Learn it before you judge it...

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about the new Sony gear, but in a way that makes me want to go out and use what I have more than ever... No matter how awesome the new tech is, it's not likely to make me any better at "seeing" and "capturing" my next awesome photo... That, I need to go out and do myself....

As for the 24mp RAW being the only option, that may be the case... That would be a definite bummer. Just double checked my a900, and yah, as soon as you hit raw it locks it at "Large" image size... Oh well...
  • 08-30-2011, 12:09 PM
    OldClicker
    Re: Leaked images of the A77...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NoKnees View Post
    The diffraction thing is just something to point out when people are looking for the ultra sharp sweet spot, vs mastering the depth of field, and the gray areas between... Mostly for the pixel peepers that try to compare an upsized 12mp full frame image to a 24mp crop sensor to a 24mp full frame with three different lenses, subjects, and lighting conditions... ;)

Basically, hey, this is a new camera. Learn it before you judge it...

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about the new Sony gear, but in a way that makes me want to go out and use what I have more than ever... No matter how awesome the new tech is, it's not likely to make me any better at "seeing" and "capturing" my next awesome photo... That, I need to go out and do myself....

As for the 24mp RAW being the only option, that may be the case... That would be a definite bummer. Just double checked my a900, and yah, as soon as you hit raw it locks it at "Large" image size... Oh well...

In the A900 you can set it for DT (half sensor) lens, even if it's not, and it will only shoot ~12mp files. - Terry
  • 08-30-2011, 05:19 PM
    Photo-John
    Oled
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Nobody mentioned it because its all common sense now. The OLED screen is not a problem, its one of the main attractions.

You mean the OLED EVF? An EVF has it's pros and its cons. With the A55 it made panning while shooting bursts a little tricky. The OLED part is awesome - can't wait to see what it looks like. And I am hoping that Sony improved the blackout. Olympus improved the blackout time in the E-P3 considerably, so it is doable. Ideally, there would be no blackout. Then the EVF would be a no-brainer.
  • 08-30-2011, 05:32 PM
    Photo-John
    My A77 and NEX-7 Articles
    It's been a busy week and those were some dense camera announcements. I finally worked my way through my analysis and got some articles done, though. These cameras are a big deal and I wanted to make sure I gave them the attention they're due.

Sony Alpha SLT-A77 Intro >>
    Sony Alpha NEX-7 Intro >>

Yes, the A77 looks sweet. Like the A55, Sony picked their competition (Nikon D7000, Canon EOS 60D and Canon EOS 7D) and then ramped it up with the high-resolution sensor and super fast burst rate. Sony may not be leading in DSLR sales (yet), but I believe it's fair to say that they are now leading the way in terms of technology and features.

Although it looks like the A77 is getting the majority of the attention, it's the NEX-7 that got to me - especially when combined with the LA-EA2 Mount Adaptor. I wanna have my cake and eat it, too! Yes, please! If I had to choose right now, hands down, the NEX-7 would be my pick for camera of the year. I wonder if it will stay that way?

If I missed anything in my articles or you guys have speculation to add, please add some comments on the articles pages.

Can't wait to get my hands on that NEX-7!