Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: Minalota

Minalota

Hey everyone I am new to this forum and was wondering what you thought about the minalota maxxum 70. I bought this off ebay because I needed a film slr for photo class I am new to this so I really didn't need anything super nice so I bought this one and because it had great reviews I have not yet got it in though. What suggestion can you give me when taking photos and useing an slr.
    thanks

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Minalota

Hi SC..welcome to the forum...I'm not familiar with this camera, but the best thing I can recommend is to go to the Konica-Minolta site, download the online manual, and read front to back a couple of dozen times before your camera arrives. After that practice with your camera as much as possible. Minolta's are excellent cameras and if the camera is in good shape, I'm sure you will be very happy with it!! Good luck with your course and we look forward to seeing your first shots!!!!
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

The 70 should serve you well. I have the 50 which doesn't have as many features, and it does all I need. In general with film the lens is going to matter more than the body, unless you are doing specialized work which requires things like interval timers and such. However, the 70 does have an interval timer, multiple exposure, and I believe just about anything else you could want. Well, except an espresso machine, but we can't have it all..

ok thanks guys what kinds of lenses do you also suggest I like doing some macro stuff but not sur what to use as well as far off stuff and sports.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soundcannon
    ok thanks guys what kinds of lenses do you also suggest I like doing some macro stuff but not sur what to use as well as far off stuff and sports.
    thanks
    For marco work, unless it comes with a Marco Lense you will have to purchase a lense or extention tubes. I didn't start doing a lot of marco work until I got a digital.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

I'm liquidating, check your PMs...

Quote Originally Posted by soundcannon
    thanks
    The focal lengths most used are 28mm for wide angle and 200mm. for telephoto and for speed I would go for 2.8 at least. Some zoom lens also shoot macro as well. The diopters +1,+2 and +3 which fit over a lens like filters are a good cheap way to get into macro photography without buying an extra macro lens. A close up diopter or combination of more than one on the end of a lens at 200mm can be extremely effective and bring things in extremely close. A powerful flash that uses a rechargeable battery pack would also be useful.

If you are seriously considering moving to digital later, you might want to consider how much to spend on a film camera at this point.

Ronnoco

i dont like the body - it feels like a cheap kodak (light plastic), but it does perform very well...

no, Not here eather!

Maxxum is a great slr or it was for me, owners manual has a lot of information in it and you need to look it over to get the most out of the unit. A lot of the lighting and f stop adjustments took practice to get a bright enough print. Sometimes I'd just use a plus one on auto and it worked out okay . Its been a long time... I just hooked up with a Sony A65 so I feel your confusion, at least in this techno age the info is out there for sure. good Luck!

Lenses,

There are a couple of inexpensive lenses that I find very useful:

Maxxum 28-85mm f3.5-4.5 A very nice range for a full frame camera, not bad on aps c. I use it for a 'walkaround' lens at the zoo, city parks, etc. I think you could usually find one for $50 or less.

Maxxum 70-210 f4 (Known as the 'Beercan') Short to medium telephoto designed to provide pretty close to macro because of it's short Minimum Focus Distance. You probably can find one for around $100.

Both lenses are old, and quality may vary. I have not been disappointed with the ones I own.

Good luck with your class.

Phil
    Sony A77 and A700, Lots of old Minolta lenses, some Sigma lenses.

Tripod has a community of helpful fellow site builders located in the Tripod Club.

Thread Information