Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Im sooo impressed with the lens on SonyA100

using the 70-210mm f4 lens. I took a pics of the moon tonite 1/2 moon it was around 4:30pm A little bit of day light and bit of getting dark!!!

I took this moon and I am sooo impressed. The clarity everyting. U can actually see the crater of the moon in the pics!!!

I used manual mode to take the pics!!! I am learning sooo much with this camera!!! Now in the actual pics it looks very far and i cropped it for close up!!!

Marcie

Last edited by Marcie; 12-28-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Re: Im sooo impressed with the lens on SonyA100

Quote Originally Posted by Marcie
    using the 70-210mm f4 lens. I took a pics of the moon tonite 1/2 moon it was around 4:30pm A little bit of day light and bit of getting dark!!!

I took this moon and I am sooo impressed. The clarity everyting. U can actually see the crater of the moon in the pics!!!

I used manual mode to take the pics!!! I am learning sooo much with this camera!!! Now in the actual pics it looks very far and i cropped it for close up!!!

Marcie

That's pretty damn good. It has great optics!!! I finally found the hood for the "beercan" on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by cr_mmurillo
    That's pretty damn good. It has great optics!!! I finally found the hood for the "beercan" on ebay.

HI thanks!!! Im glad you found the lens hood!!!

Marcie

the beercan is the most neccesary lens for a minolta shooter.

This is great! It looks a little bright and blown out in the highlights, though. Do you know about the camera's histogram? The histogram will tell you if you're losing detail in the highlights. Check it after you take a picture and if you're image is "clipped" (lost detail in the highlights or shadows), you can adjust your exposure and shoot it again.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

r_w

Did you take this with the moon low so that it magnified its size? I'm trying to take a similar pic and can't get as much definition as you have, but I'm using a Sigma 70-300 which should get me closer...

Thanks,
    Robert

The moon was kinda low but far away!!! Ill upload the orig pics of it!!!

Photo john The orig pics is a bit further then what i have. I did play with the moon in the graphic program!!! That is why its dif .

Marcie

Update:

here is the orig pics of the moon!!!

Last edited by Marcie; 01-03-2007 at 06:28 PM.

Hey I couldn't find this thread when I posted another thread "pictures of the moon". I was wondering if you could post the settings you used so I can shoot the moon and compare? I have the old Minolta "beercan" lense and I just bought the SAL18200. I also have a Tamron 70-300 (credit Don S.) that I purchased before I bought the beercan or the SAL18200. All three lenses have different character. I love the beercan for bokeh but it is soft compared to the SAL18200. The SAL18200 has purple fringing at max which is not near as kind to the eye as the beercan. I don't use the Tamron for much now. I shot my moon at 1/2000 shutter and auto aperture. I think I will go back outside and try focusing on the night sky with a slow shutter like 1 sec on the tripod and see what happens. Let me know some good settings / combos - Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Im sooo impressed with the lens on SonyA100-ne-usa-jan-3-2007-moon.jpg  

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Me again.

What happened here with the metering was weighted to the moon, which is very bright. This caused the meter to overcompensate thus the greyness of the moon in the shot. Situations like this are best shot in full manual mode, or you can try exposure compensation. Remember, the camera's meter assumes that what it's metering is middle gray in tonality and will give you an exposure to make whatever you're metering to make it that.

Any chance you could recommend a full manual setup? I will try it tonight and post the results. Thanks again

Marcie, that's a dang good shot! And as you see, 10 megapixels gives you enough to do some serious cropping and still keep good detail.

The 70-210 f/4 is quite probably the best lens that Minolta ever produced - certainly so in the 'consumer lens' realm. I've never been rich enough to check out any of the professional-grade 'G' lenses for comparison, but I think they would have a real tough time beating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie
    Marcie, that's a dang good shot! And as you see, 10 megapixels gives you enough to do some serious cropping and still keep good detail.

The 70-210 f/4 is quite probably the best lens that Minolta ever produced - certainly so in the 'consumer lens' realm. I've never been rich enough to check out any of the professional-grade 'G' lenses for comparison, but I think they would have a real tough time beating it.
    Thanks Clemmie!!!

Thread Information