Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: Eating Crow

Eating Crow

Well I may have slammed the Sony kit lenses a little to hard in previous post. I must say as you can see it is sharper than maybe I originally thought. This was taken with the wide adapter and I applied very little sharpening to it. In fact the first edit was over sharpened and I had to go back and redo it. I did have to remove a couple of dust specs. Probably caught between the two lenses. I am not use to that coming from Olympus. I don't guess I have ever had dust spots with any Olympus camera. You can see the shadow of both cameras, Nex and E5 on my tripods. The second shot was with the E5. Both shot in RAW and edited in LR. But very few adjustments on both. I do like the Olympus colors a little more. The sky looks better to me.

I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Eating Crow

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Well I may have slammed the Sony kit lenses a little to hard in previous post. I must say as you can see it is sharper than maybe I originally thought.
    I don't think that there are any 'bad' kit lenses any more. Not $2k lenses, but not 'bad'. It seems that Olympus showed the way to no bad lenses.
    This was taken with the wide adapter and I applied very little sharpening to it. In fact the first edit was over sharpened and I had to go back and redo it. I did have to remove a couple of dust specs. Probably caught between the two lenses. I am not use to that coming from Olympus. I don't guess I have ever had dust spots with any Olympus camera. You can see the shadow of both cameras, Nex and E5 on my tripods. The second shot was with the E5. Both shot in RAW and edited in LR. But very few adjustments on both. I do like the Olympus colors a little more. The sky looks better to me.
    I think the color would be a function of your RAW converter settings, not the camera.

Sony is coming out with an SLT adapter for the NEX system. Pop it on the front with a lens and you have full PDAF and an EVF.

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Terry I am fairly sure I am going to get a 580 soon. I am so impressed with Sony and the direction they are going. Maybe a Nex 7 too, later on. I think the Nex is the best of the EVIL lot right now.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Terry I am fairly sure I am going to get a 580 soon. I am so impressed with Sony and the direction they are going. Maybe a Nex 7 too, later on. I think the Nex is the best of the EVIL lot right now.
    I'm looking at the A580 also, though that really isn't "the direction they are going." The A580 may well be the last sony SLR. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Terry I looked at the DXO marks of both the a55 and 580 and though I am intrigued by the a55 I went by that, bottom line at times is IQ. The 580 looked as though it could handle noise just a touch better. Do you know anyone that has used the twilight feature? I am very curious how well it works.

Sony a99/a7R

They "both" look pretty good, however the second one appears to have a more muted color.
    -Bruce

How are those adapters coming?
    -Bruce

Greg - This is my first post and the forum won't let me start a new thread. I am a professional photographer (Nikon) who just bought an a77. I have anHVL-F58 flash. I have read the manual and the flash manual, but cannot get the camera to go above 1/250th at all. I have the flash in HSS mode in the custom settings and the camera is in Manual shooting RAW.

Thread Information